Lots Of Crumbs With Choc Cake... Hellpp!

Decorating By ktbug Updated 24 May 2011 , 7:01pm by TexasSugar

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 2

Ok I don't have any idea, but for some reason I have a BIG problem with crumbs whem I do chocolate cake. I normally don't crumb coat. Should I start? Should I crumb coat and then freeze... I just needs some suggestions! I am doing a chocolate grooms cake this weekend.... TIA

1 reply
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 2

Is the cake really moist on the outside?

Is your icing a good consistency?

Do you use a cake icer tip? Have you thought about trying it?

Do you do a lot of back and forth motion with your spatula when you are icing?

If cake is really moist on the outside, the icing may not want to stick as well, thus pealing off some pulling crumbs with it. Same thing for too thick icing.

I love the cake icer tip personally. It puts a good coat of icing on the cake, so that your spatula and cake never come in contact. If you are using a spatula, be sure to pile the icing high when you start out, and try to keep your spatula from coming in contact with the cake.

If you are moving your spatula in a back and forth motion you are likely causing your icing to pull crumbs up off the cake. Until the cake is coated with icing, try to move your spatula only one direction at a time.

I do crumb coat my cakes, especially when I have torted and filled them so that I can leave them out to settle. I don't put cakes in the freezer, but I live where humidity and condensation would cause my problems and issues if I did that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%