How Do You Keep Cupcakes From Drying Out?

Baking By coleslawcat Updated 25 May 2011 , 1:42pm by LindaF144a

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 8

I bake for my own enjoyment and friends, I do not have a business.

I exclusively bake from scratch because I do gluten free baking only. When my cupcakes first come out they are so moist and delicious. I let them cool, frost them, and then store them in airtight containers in my fridge. Despite this they dry out quickly. Is there a trick to storing them to prevent this? Or is there a tweak I need to make to my recipes (more liquid for example)? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 8

Don't put them in the frig---unless you have to due to the icing/filling. Refrigerators dry out cakes/cupcakes. I find when I store mine in the plastic 6 pack containers, they are so moist, I have a hard time getting them out. But---I do not bake from scratch either.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 8

I just try not to store them, but bake the day before. To me, that's really the only foolproof way...they dry out faster than regular cake.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 8

Are you tasting the cuppies after letting them come back down to room temperature? Is your frosting/filling perishable? If not, I would try to avoid storing cake/cupcakes in the fridge at all costs. I only put cake in the fridge if I have to. Flash freezing my cakes for at least an hour helps, too. I have only baked one GF cake from the KAF website and it was moist (I did not put in the fridge).

Maybe someone who bakes more GF can chime in. HTH

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 8

I have tasted them after they come back to room temperature and they are a dry, not to the point of not being able to eat and enjoy them, but not the wonderful moist creations they were the night before when I made them.

I normally use Swiss meringue buttercream. I worry about it holding up in my kitchen since I live in Arizona so I usually refrigerate it. Would SMBC be ok at room temperature? I can also try different frostings that would do better at room temperature.

Can you explain the flash freezing? Do you freeze the cake before frosting it? Let it thaw before frosting? I'm just not sure I get how this works.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:09am
post #6 of 8

I try to freeze my cakes for at least an hour after they've finished baking. I never really freeze cupcakes unless I know I won't eat or need them right away. For my other cakes and cupcakes I plan to store for a couple days, I let them "cool" for about 10 minutes and pop it into the freezer (right in the pan) and let it freeze for an hour (at least, depending on the size of the cake). After the hour is up, I de-pan and the cake is firm enough to frost. For cupcakes that I don't plan to use within a couple days, I wrap them individually in glad press n seal and then in aluminum foil. I don't like to bake cupcakes for an event (I don't sell) more than 2 days prior (2 days for oil based and the day before for butter based) and I store them in the 12 cavity plastic cupcake containers at room temperature. I also pipe the icing on while they are in the container.

I would also like to note that my cakes are stored in a mini freezer that only has other cakes (no meats, etc) in it. HTH

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 8

I've been trying out some GF recipes recently and I've found that it's recommended to increase the liquid ingredients when using GF flour. If you're using a normal recipe and just substituting flour / baking powder etc. then maybe add more liquid.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 8

Do not put your cupcakes in the refrigerator. They will dry out in no time.
There is no reason to put them in the fridge anyway. They are fine in an air tight container on the counter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%