How Do You Cover Rkt?

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 7:19pm by moranda

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 16

I have tried to use Rice krispie treats several times but can never seem to get a nice smooth finish. its always bumpy when covered with MMF. I have a huge mario galaxy cake due Wedsnesday with a floating planet. the bottom of the planet i plan to make out of RKT but i do not want the bumpy look. HELP! I have tried covering the RKT with thin layer of BC then MMF and that helps some but when i touch it it smooshes easier and still makes for a very sloppy finish.

15 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 16

I buy the premade RKT and just mash the crap outta them. Moisten my hands with a bit of warm water for a final smoosh and apply the fondant. Did a baseball this weekend and it was smooth. (NO bc undercoat either.)

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 16

I make my own, and before I add the RKs to the MM mixture I squish them in my hand which makes them less bumby. I usually cover with buttercream before the fondant but Ive watched people on TV use melted candy melts which looked like it worked well.

kweenofengland Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 16

leah - can you post a picture of your baseball cake? would love to see how the RKT turned out.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 16

I recently started covering my RKT with melted chocoate and that helps smooth the finish as well as making them stronger because the chocolate dries hard. Then cover with fondant when that dries. I tried covering the RKT in the past with royal icing and it just cracks, so I personally wouldn't recommend that method.

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 16

If you are making your own RKT, you can just run the cereal through a food processor. I also have covered mine in chocolate prior to applying fondant.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 16

I am happy to see that others buy pre-made RKT and use them. Even though that feels wrong to me, I find the whole making RKT from scratch a mess and it never hardens the way I want! When I wanted to make a large bowling pin, I made 2 because I knew at least 1 wouldnt make it (and I was right!). thanks for sharing!

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 16

Melted Wilton candy melts worked good for me. I covered a RKT sailboat with the chocolate with a brush, put it in the freezer for a few minutes, then used a microplane grater to shave off any irregularities. Turned out great. thumbs_up.gif

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 16

...oh yeah, then I brushed the boat with a tiny bit of shortening and then applied the fondant. HTH.

kweenofengland Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 16

thanks guys for all your help! i think i will try the chocolate over RKT. should i also crush the RK or will the chocolate take care of that as well. doesnt sound fun to me to crush RK especially when i only have a mini chopper! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:11am
post #11 of 16

If you crush them, the final product will be very dense and difficult to eat. Therefore, crushing or not depends on whether you think someone will try to eat them. I don't crush mine anymore because of this, but I do "smash the crap out of them" like Leah. Then I cover them in candy melts or chocolate. Once that sets, I use a combination of the microplane to shave off the really bumpy spots and the heat of my hands rubbing the chocolate to smooth it.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:55am
post #12 of 16

I like covering RKT directly with modeling chocolate. It fills in all the grooves while giving you a nice, smooth surface to work with. Plus it dries firmly and holds its shape well.

Bluesea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluesea Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 8:59am
post #13 of 16

Hi all, i am gonna attempt making RKT for the 1st time. I have an order for a fire truck cake but the customer wants a small serving. So, in order get the height for the truck, i am planning to do this: bake the cake in a 7/x10inch pan. Make 2x layers of RKT - same size as cake.

Question is - can i place the 2x RKTs below the cake and cover all 3 layers with fondant? Will the weight of the cake give way? Hope what i am asking making sense.

Need your expert advice.

Thank you.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 9:51am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I buy the premade RKT and just mash the crap outta them. Moisten my hands with a bit of warm water for a final smoosh and apply the fondant. Did a baseball this weekend and it was smooth. (NO bc undercoat either.)

What Leah said. I also apply a coat of thick ganache before adding fondant. Did this on my last two cakes for the "cap" part of the cake. I didn't spend a great deal of time making them smooth b/c I sort of liked the slightly bumpy look for the cap. Rolling pin works well for smushing, and a little cornstarch helps with the sticky factor.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 16

Bluesea - I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 7:19pm
post #16 of 16

I make homemade RKT, I am used to making them anyway because my daughter loves them, I don't crush up the rice krispies. I cover with ganache and then fondant. I posted the link to my graduation cake, the base of the grad cap is RKT.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2056877
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2054102

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%