How Do I....use My Clay Extruder?

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 20 May 2011 , 1:00pm by inspiredbymom

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 7

Am I missing something or is it just because my extruder is a cheap and nasty ebay type? I got it though the post about a week or 2 ago and had to have a go but I found it really difficult to push the fondant through the hole practically breaking my fingers and getting about 3mm of fondant out of the end! Should I grease it? or warm it? is there a knack to it that I havent found out yet? or should I invest in a slightly more expensive one? (it was only about £5 I think)

6 replies
seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 7

You have to make your fondant really mushy. I add both water and shortening to a small amount. Then once you get it through, you may have to let it sit a minute or two so you can pick it up. Its a pain in the rear but also can be really worth it when you need it. HTH

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 7

I use the green Makins extruder I found at Hobby Lobby (an arts / crafts store). I knead the fondant until it's pliable and add a little shortening to it and then put it in the tube. It's always worked well for me that way. Good luck!!

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for both of those tips. I will try the soft and mushy way! I am willing to go for the long route because I know what wonderful designs people can creat with one of them done right! I cant wait to try it again lol my poor children will be neglected if I carry on trying things...

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsnack

I use the green Makins extruder I found at Hobby Lobby (an arts / crafts store). I knead the fondant until it's pliable and add a little shortening to it and then put it in the tube. It's always worked well for me that way. Good luck!!

Same here - works great!

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 7

I add plenty of shortening to the fondant and make sure to grease the inside of the extruder. Then it isn't so hard to push the fondant out. Much easier that way. Good luck

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 20 May 2011 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 7

I used shortening in my fondant to make it soft. I also find that when my husband kneads it, it gets warm and is easier to push through. (I have COLD hands!) Although, I also find it VERY easy to do if I just hand it over to DH and he does it! icon_smile.gif (I just love him!!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%