Just Delivered Cake For Cost, And Got A Tip!

Decorating By CalhounsCakery Updated 19 May 2011 , 12:39am by CalhounsCakery

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 19 May 2011 , 12:00am
post #1 of 6

So, I delivered a cake today that I was only charging for materials. I've worked it out so that if someone wants something from me, they pay for the cost, and I get creative liberty. They know ahead of time and are very aware that I may experiment and the cake may not look the best because of it...

I got there, and they were so happy, they gave be a tip! Yay! I'm using this before bakery time to build a portfolio on my friends and families cakes, so this works quite well for me.

Here's a question though, as far as pricing goes, it's a 10" cake, 4" high. It cost about $30 to make, and took about 3 hours between baking and decorating. As an official business, how much would you have charged?

Thanks for any help.

5 replies
CalhounsCakery Posted 19 May 2011 , 12:02am
post #2 of 6

Okay, try again with the link...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2039438

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 19 May 2011 , 12:20am
post #3 of 6

10' cake feeds about 30ppl, I charge $4.50 so I would have charged $135 plus $20 for local delivery.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 May 2011 , 12:25am
post #4 of 6

10" round serves 39.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 May 2011 , 12:28am
post #5 of 6

For a 10" party cake (which feeds about 20 people with party-sized slices) we charge $54 for BC and $84 for basic fondant. With the design you posted it probably would have been $114.

Our cost for this cake would probably be in the $80-90 range once you consider overhead, kitchen rental, labor cost, etc. I'm assuming the $30 cost figure includes ingredients only and values your time at $0/hour?

CalhounsCakery Posted 19 May 2011 , 12:39am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

For a 10" party cake (which feeds about 20 people with party-sized slices) we charge $54 for BC and $84 for basic fondant. With the design you posted it probably would have been $114.

Our cost for this cake would probably be in the $80-90 range once you consider overhead, kitchen rental, labor cost, etc. I'm assuming the $30 cost figure includes ingredients only and values your time at $0/hour?

Yeah, I was only charging for the cost of the cake (ingredients, cake tray, box). It was for a close family friend. If I added my time, it would have been more for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%