How To Stack A 4 Tier Wedding Cake?

Decorating By JLynn88 Updated 31 Jul 2012 , 4:00pm by Lynne3

JLynn88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLynn88 Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone, I am going to be constructing a 4 tier wedding cake with butter-cream Frosting. I am new to the whole stacking idea and this is my first wedding cake. I am in need of some help with how to stack the cake so it is level, and supported! I am also going to have to deliver the cake fully constructed. So please anyone with any ideas or suggestions please reply!
Thanks a lot
Jamie icon_smile.gif

12 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 13

you should look in to using SPS system - Read about it here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

a 4-tiered cake is going to be VERY heavy, be sure you can handle carrying it fully constructed or be sure you have help with steady hands. icon_smile.gif

Good Luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 13

Make sure you have the cake on a good board, about 3/4-inch subfloor. Fortunately I have hubby for that department. I buy the board and he cuts out the shape and size I need. I have them in different sizes for weddings and giant sheet cakes.

As for the physics of it, you should find some videos or so, it is tedious to put them together and stack, and four tiers is big for your first. Leave yourself lots of time so you aren't rushed.

Tami icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 13

Make sure your cake is very cold and your buttercream hard before stacking so as to minimize the damage at the base of the cake when moving it. Mark where your tier should be on the cake. I center a cake pan on top of the bottom tier and draw a circle around it with a fondant tool to create a guide to place the cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 13

Since this is your first, let's get you started on solid ground by using SPS. As I always say, it's cheap, easy and sturdy. What more could you want?

JLynn88 Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 13

Thank you, all of you for posting. But what is a SPS system? Sorry if that is a stupid question...

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 13

I have not used the SPS system. I've read about it and watch clips about it but have opted to use the cakestacker system and charge a deposit on it. We moved a 5 tier "Lady Windemere" style cake last month with no problems. Well, can't say no problems....we had to enlist extra help to move it! It was HEAVY! It had 6-6" cakes on the bottom, then a 12,10,8 & 6 on top of that.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 13

Just recently transported a fully assembled 4-tier square using SPS, and it was no sweat. For anything over 2 tiers, I use SPS. It's totally worth the small extra cost. And I get it back, so I'm able to use it at least twice.

JLynn88 Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 13

The Cake I am doing is for this friday, I plan to use the SPS system, but what all do i need for that? I am going to be buying this at hobby lobby and i don't think it comes in a kit. Can anyone tell me what all i would need. I know i need a cake plate for each layer, and four plastic dowels for each layer, but is there some kind of connector? Or Would i still need to put a wooden dowel through all four layers?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 13

SPS (single plate separators)... read the signature line on the post by leah_s.

MARTIEQZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARTIEQZ Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 3:53pm
post #12 of 13

Can you use the SPS for a Lady Windermere style cake?

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 4:00pm
post #13 of 13

JLynn88,
Based on 4" tall tiers - Yes, you simply need an SPS plate for each tier and the necessary number of dowels. The dowels fit right in with no separate connector pieces.

You also need you standard cardboard round for under each tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%