Is The Cricut The Best To Use?

Decorating By jenniemar Updated 22 May 2011 , 3:36pm by tiggy2

jenniemar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniemar Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 11

I am really interested in the Cricut but are there better machines out there? Any advice would be really helpful. Thank you.
thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 11

What other cake cutting machines are out there...?

I've used a Cricut for scrpabooking for a few years now, and just recently got the cake machine... the first couple times it was rough going, but I am starting to find what works for me on it...

at this point i'm sticking with gumpaste and gotta roll it very thin... still not sure what speed and pressue settings are best, but we are experimenting...

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 11

I've heard good things about the Silhouette. Maybe someone who owns one will chime in and let us know what they think.

jenniemar Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 11

I just spent the last hour researching silhouette vs. cricut and for me the Silhouette wins.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 May 2011 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 11

Silhouette all the WAY! I have both and since Provo Craft sued Make The Cut I find the Cricut useless for anyone that doesn't have it yet or has updated their MTC software or cricut firmware. I'm not buying all of their expensive cartridges. If you decide on the silhouette be sure to get it from Linda McClure as she has a special blad for fondant/gumpaste that you can't get anywhere else. The blades that come with the silhouette WILL NOT WORK!

rmurphy84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmurphy84 Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:51am
post #6 of 11

yes, the silhouette is the way to go, and if you need to edit your images, i recommend The Gimp www.gimp.org
it's a open source imaging program similar to Photoshop

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:50am
post #7 of 11

I work with Cricut and pretty happy with what it does and what I can do with it. I use SCAL and can do any design, font or detail. I even can do a stencil for my damask cake!

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 22 May 2011 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 11

If you do not already have a machine and do not want to be limited to using the designs on cartridges, then go with the Silhouette. I love the print and cut feature. If you go with the Cricut you can no longer use any 3rd party program with it. Provo Craft sued Make the Cut, they just sued Sure Cuts A Lot and they will go after any one else who makes a program that can work with the Cricut. So the bottom line is this, if you want to invest tons of money into cartridges for the few designs you may use, get a Cricut. If you would like to make a one time purchase with limitless design possibilities, get a Silhouette. I paid $250 for my Silhouette and cake package and the Make the Cut program was less than $60.00

jenniemar Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 11

I work a lot in Photoshop so I am going to go with the Silhouette. I think I can do more with it.
Thanks all!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 11

I also would recommend against the Cricut just because of the totally shameful way they treated Linda.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I also would recommend against the just because of the totally shameful way they treated Linda.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%