Quilting Effect On Buttercream Cake

Decorating By clare076 Updated 16 May 2011 , 3:06pm by cowie

clare076 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clare076 Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 3

I think that is what its called???
I have an enquiry for a cake that has 2 tiers, the bottom tier has the quilting effect on it with pearls at each join (does that make sense?)

How do you do a quilting effect on a buttercream cake? Do you use a ruler or the back of a knife to make the indent lines?

I assume I have to wait until the buttercream has crusted enough to leave the indent lines without disrupting the icing too much.

I have told the lady that I haven't been doing cakes for long (and I only do cakes for family and friends generally, I dont have a business) and told her it may not be perfect, but I am still wanting to learn the technique.

Does anyone know a link to a tutorial?

2 replies
Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 3

I like to use a diamond impression mat to make quilted cakes. When I'm quilting on buttercream, I usually let the icing crust lightly, then just press the mat into the icing.

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 3

I have something that looks like a cookie cutter. I have used it once and on a buttercream cake. I waited until it crusted and then pushed it into the side of the cake and carefully matched it up to keep going around it. Found it worked well. The only thing I don't like is that I can never get it to match up at the back of the cake so it looks funny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%