Help With Dora Cake

Decorating By bncncnmn Updated 25 Jan 2007 , 11:20am by boring

bncncnmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bncncnmn Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:29am
post #1 of 12

Okay I need to make a Dora cake for Wednesday, was wondering if someone could tell me how to do a frozen buttercream transfer. You also have to remember I do not have a clue what I'm doing so is the transfer too hard. Any help would be appreciated. icon_cry.gif

11 replies
joby1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joby1 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:33am
post #2 of 12

Here is the article on CC that has instructions.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

Good luck.

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:34am
post #3 of 12

You can surely do this!! Just take an image of Dora that you like and place a piece of parchment over it. Tape them both down. Using the Wilton Black in the tube...outline the image and then use regular buttercream to fill it in with the colors. Make sure that you stick it in the freezer after you have the outline done. When you are filling in the colors, make sure that you keep the tip immersed in the frosting so that you fill it in instead of making squiggly snake-like lines. When it's all filled in, dip your finger in cornstarch and LIGHTLY pat it down. After the entire image is done....freeze it solid...it won't take very long. Then ice the whole back in the color that you're using on the top of the cake...I prefer white.

Then while it's frozen, flip it over onto your cake. A lot of decorators make a border around the image. I prefer to use the #13 star tip and make a small line around the image...kindof underneath to fill in the space between the image and the cake, but not so there is a huge fluffy border. I use the same color as the top of the cake for this.

good luck!.....there is a tutorial for this in the articles somewhere that may help you!

bncncnmn Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:39am
post #4 of 12

joby1,

Thanks for your help. Have you made many of these, and if so are they hard? Thanks

bncncnmn Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:44am
post #5 of 12

Thanks Derby it don't sound like it will be too hard. It's for a 3 year old I don't think she will care if it is not perfect she is family, so hopefully they wont be to harsh.

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:45am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bncncnmn

joby1,

Thanks for your help. Have you made many of these, and if so are they hard? Thanks

I just did a Tigger transfer and it was easy. I also add more frosting to the design once i have all of the coloring done so that it gives it more support. I didn't do that with the first Tigger and I has to redo it. Then I put it in the freezer.

joby1 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 12

I have not done one yet, I was planning on it this week though. I am excited to try it!

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 12

I did a FBCT Dora a few months ago (its in my pics). It was my first FBCT and huge (covered the whole top of an 11"x17" cake!), but turned out OK. I followed the tutorial on here, its really helpful. The only thing I would advise is to make sure that your layer of icing isn't too thin, mine was and big chunks of Dora's hair broke when I peeled the parchment off! icon_cry.gif I had to do a patch job on it, so it turned out very 'patchy'!

Good luck with it!

Kelly

joby1 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 12

I did it! It was not hard, but definitely not make one when your 2 year old is trying to help =) The 49er cake in my photos.

Thanks to everyone for their great tips and the article on the process

J

bncncnmn Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 12

Joby1,

Your cake looks really good. Did you have fun making it? Ireally enjoyed doing the Dora cake. My FBCT was really thick, not sure what I did wrong. Can't wait to try it again.

joby1 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 12

I did have fun making it. It was more enjoyable doing the star tip. I am going to do a Valentine Tigger ccc for a babysitting group in a couple of weeks and thought that a FBCT would be the easiest. I like it because I can make it before hand and put the cake together later.

Mine ended up being thick too. I think I put too much of the background frosting on the back. I did not spread it enough since I was worried about ruining the picture.

J

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:20am
post #12 of 12

Wow I was the lazy one I used the Wilton Cake tin of Dora, covered the cake in fondant then I make the various parts out of coloured fondant. The cake was Chocolate mud cake and it had to be posted 1000 kilometers away. It went overnight and arrived today for my 3 yo niece. She absoulty loved it, they still can't shut her up about and she won't let them cut it. any idea how that makes me feel. It arrived in one piece as well, which was a bonus.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%