He Tells Me To Start "looking Outside Of The Box"

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 9 May 2011 , 11:02pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:49am
post #1 of 12

Hi Cakers!

You all are the only ones that would understand my frustration! Please excuse the rant. Yesterday I finished up a Mothers Day Cake. My partner comes in the to take a look and tells me You need to start looking outside the box! WTF?! Are you kidding me? Keep in mind this cake was requested by the husband and SPECIFACLLY asked me to do the colors and criss cross pattern on the sides of the cake. I did what was asked of me. The funny thing about this is 2 weeks ago I went to him and told him about an idea I had for a graduation cake. Completely outside of the box type of cake. His response, I would just stick to what you know! Really?

Earlier this week I did an Atlanta Falcon cake. Team colors are Red and Black. As I am finishing up my lovely partner walks in and says, Is that supposed to be red? Come on man! Give me a freaking break.

Please tell me I am not the only one that has such a positive influence around all the time! Geesh, I love him, but I would like to ring his neck sometimes!!

I have posted a picture of the Mothers Day cake he commented on if interested.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2029086

Thanks!

Michael

11 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 9 May 2011 , 11:20am
post #2 of 12

It sounds to me like you need to have a "sit down" with your partner.... IS he your " partner" or your boss ?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 May 2011 , 11:29am
post #3 of 12

I agree...He probably doesn't realize how he sounds. He might think that he's being "encouraging" but is failing miserably without realizing it.

Or he's just being a butt, as my kids would say. Either way, tell him to keep his opinions to himself unless you ask him for one.

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 9 May 2011 , 11:37am
post #4 of 12

You're cake is lovely icon_smile.gif

I would be frustrated with your partner's comments also. I like consistency in my feedback and it seems like you are not getting that from him. One moment he says you need to do "x" and the next you need to do the opposite....that gets a bit frustrating. I guess if his opinion matters, I would ask him what exactly he envisions the cake to look like....but sometimes, it's just best to take opinions with a grain of salt and do what you feel is correct.

In the case with the mother's day cake, you followed the direction of what the customer wanted. Perhaps you could throw out some opinions, but at the end of the day, the customer gets what the customer wants.

Take care icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 12

That is too funny....Tell him to keep his comments to himself..Or better yet...Hand him a piping bag and a raw cake and tell him to go to it!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 12

Wow - talk about - can't win!!! Your cake came out very nice, and if the client was happy then it was successful! Good Luck!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Mikel79 Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

That is too funny....Tell him to keep his comments to himself..Or better yet...Hand him a piping bag and a raw cake and tell him to go to it!!

This is good! I think I am going to try this out next time!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 12

I constantly ask my husband for his opinion, and then always do the opposite of what he says icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 12

I think it's a very pretty and cleanly done cake. Nice job!

My mother's comments often start with "If it were me, I would have done..."

I've learned over the years she means well by it, and doesn't mean for the comments to come out negatively, which is how I generally read it. It was just her way of making suggestions. And now I just let the comments roll off my back.

I would say sit down and have a heart to heart. Often times people don't realize how some of the things they say come across.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 12

Pretty cake and sounds like this was what the client wanted, so good job.
You and your partner need to talk after you step back and calm down a minute. Do you ever ask for a critique from him or do you just want a pat on the back? He probably believes he is being very helpful. If you truly need for him to only say positive things then you need to 1)tell him and
2) never ask him for advice 3)ask for constructive criticism from others whose sugar work you do respect and accept that.
We teach others how to treat us. Lately, my husband has been saying, "That is the best thing you've ever done!" after every cake and he seems to believe it. I'm happy - he is happier. Remember only reward behavior you want to see over and over - works with kids, animals and partners.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 12

Maybe he was having a bad day (or bad week!)
So what colour IS the red and black cake? The red looks red to me! icon_biggrin.gif

Mikel79 Posted 9 May 2011 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 12

I appreciate the kind words folks! He means well. He was not hateful with the words. We have had a talk about it. All is well!

=)

Thanks again!

Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%