Painting On Gumpaste

Decorating By travmand Updated 5 May 2011 , 10:32am by travmand

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:38am
post #1 of 3

So...I'm making a beer barrel cake and would like to put gumpaste wood-like planks on the sides. I'm making a mixture of paint with food coloring and vodka. Do I roll the planks out and let them dry....or do I paint them before they dry and before they are on the cake? Doesn't that make them sticky? Ugh....I thought I had this figured out.

2 replies
Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:09am
post #2 of 3

I have painted on both fondant and gumpaste. I prefer to cut my pieces out, let them dry and then paint on them. It is too hard for me to paint directly on the cake, especially on the sides ( and I painted and airbrushed for 20 years on fabric before I started this crazy cake decorating thing)!! It will only be sticky if you use alot of food coloring and very little vodka (I use vanilla...I tried vodka and for me it was a little different and slightly harder to work with). So..they will not be sticky..just give them enough time to dry...which doesn't take long because of the alcohol. I would cut them, let them dry, paint them, let them dry, and stick them on the cake!

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 5 May 2011 , 10:32am
post #3 of 3

Thank you...that's what I'm doing...wish me luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%