Can You Get Imbc Smooth Like Buttercream

Decorating By camomama5 Updated 4 May 2011 , 8:04pm by lilmissbakesalot

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 7

Can u get it smooth like buttercream and does it "set" so i can decorate with regular buttercream icing on top of it? For a wedding cake

6 replies
genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 7

If by "set" you mean crust, then no, it doesn't. You can absolutely use another type of buttercream on top for piping if you want to, but imbc pipes beautifully. In terms of smoothing, get yourself a good bench scraper tool and use that to get perfectly smooth sides and corners. The beauty of the meringue buttercreams is that when you chill them, they get solid and can be smoothed with a firm pressure. If you mess up, just add more and back into the chiller it goes!

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 7

You can also smooth it with a wet off-set spatula. The IMBC won't stick to it and you can get a smooth finish. I also chill mine and you can smooth out small problem areas with your warm, clean hands.

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 7

What if I ice the entire cake in IMBC and then used reg buttercream for borders, decorations, etc except for flowers that need to be royal icing and gum paste, fondant. Thanks so much!!!

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by camomama5

What if I ice the entire cake in IMBC and then used reg buttercream for borders, decorations, etc except for flowers that need to be royal icing and gum paste, fondant. Thanks so much!!!

I've iced my cake with SMBC and happened to not have any left to decorate icon_redface.gif

Soo....I had to make buttercream and it was fine. Of course you have two different textures going on (but hey fondant and buttercream is the same deal), but if that doesn't matter, then you're fine. icon_biggrin.gif

Now, I have no experience with royal icing or gum paste, so I can't answer your question. Although I'm sure someone else can. icon_smile.gif

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 7

Personally, I wouldn't use a different buttercream for decorations. May I ask why you want to do this? IMBC is softer than an American buttercream, but it can still give crisp lines (if that is why you are leaning towards a different type of buttercream for the borders, etc). Since it's a wedding cake, you will want a more cohesive look to the entire cake and I'd be afraid of having too many different 'looks' - kind of like using several different fonts in a typed article, if that makes sense.

Of course, not knowing your overall design, it may be perfectly fine. . . but my first instinct is to stick with one buttercream throughout.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 4 May 2011 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 7

Well my first thought is IMBC *is* buttercream... LOL. But I get the question.

Yes you can get it really smooth, but it's not a matter of using papertowels or foam rollers. It doesn't crust like the PP said so you have to be really careful with the finish. I would just use more IMBC for your borders... it pipes beautifully so long as it's not too warm. I like to have a couple of bags going so I can let one sit a bit if it gets too soft on me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%