Surely We All Know What A Square Is?!! - Little Rant

Decorating By cutiepiecupcake Updated 1 May 2011 , 1:25am by LoveMeSomeCake615

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:50am
post #1 of 2

A recent customer requested a cake to feed no more than 8 people. I promptly attempted to provide them with an official email quote, however, this bounced back at me - mail box full. So I called them and left a voice msg with all the specifics, and also sent a full txt msg stating that I would provide them with a "6inch SQUARE" cake with all the required decos etc. I received a the go ahead. The cake, in my eyes, was great - clean and precise in its design and fulfilled exactly what I quoted for. Biased? Maybe, but I had no doubt that it was a successful order. I ran into the customer the other day and asked how the cake was, and were they happy with it. He responded by saying that he liked it.. and so did the person it was intended for.. but "my wife didn't like it" was his exact words! Hmmm. Ok. "What did she not like about it?" His response "She thought it was going to be in the shape of the design.. not a square cake". Oh.. "ok" I said.. "I did quote you on a square design in both the email that bounced back at me and in the voice msg and txt msg I sent to you and you confirmed back with a 'go ahead'.. Did it taste ok?" His response "Oh yeah, it was great.. I was happy with it.. we are still eating it." So I went back and re-read all my txt msgs and my original quote - and yep, SQUARE!!! How do you confuse square with a 2D shape?? So I was going to offer them a 20% discount on any future orders, but then thought no.. it was obviously a miscommunication between husband and wife.. not between me and the customer. The cake was fine quality in both presentation and in taste.. besides, I wonder whether it would be worth the trouble of dealing with customers who get confused so easily! icon_rolleyes.gif

1 reply
LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:25am
post #2 of 2

Weird! Yeah, good call on not offering them anything. That was totally their bad for not communicating well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%