How Do You Color Fondant Super Bright Lime Green And Purple?

Decorating By alsearer Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 12:08pm by Coral3

alsearer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alsearer Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:01am
post #1 of 13

Tomorrow I have to make some fondant accents on a cake that are lime green and bright purple. But the more and more I think about it I feel like are those colors easily achieved? Are there any specific wilton colors I can buy to help out the process or will I end up using a whole bottle no matter what? Does anyone have any tips of making super vibrant colors?!

Thanks so much!!

12 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:17am
post #2 of 13

I use americolor. They have colors that are "electric" LOL Like "electric blue" and they will give you those bright colors you are looking for!

shawna29xx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawna29xx Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:33am
post #3 of 13

If you are near a micheals craft store you can use ace of cakes food color gels. He has the closes thing to Americolor that you can get out of a store if you need it ASAP.It comes in a pack of four super electric colors. Hope this helps you icon_smile.gif

Teecakesandcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teecakesandcookies Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:34am
post #4 of 13

Yeah I agree the americolor electric colors are the way to go!! icon_lol.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:44am
post #5 of 13

And if you can't find any neon colors I do know that adding bright yellow to leaf green gives a brighter neon-y shade to lime. Don't know about the purple. Wonder if a little yellow to that would brighten it? (i'm thinking out loud...if you do that let me know if it works...and do a very small experiment just in case it bombs!) icon_lol.gif

ashleyisawesome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyisawesome Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:01am
post #6 of 13

At the Hobby Lobby where I live, they sell the tiny containers of americolor. For lime green I always just use yellow with a hint of leaf green. Electric purple will prob be the only way to get a bright purple, though. I personally think Wilton gel colors are terrible..

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:15am
post #7 of 13

I do a lot of bright colors. Be careful not to assume it will just take a lot of color, if you add to much color, it will just be dark, not bright. I use wilton's leaf green with lemon yellow. For the purple, I would use americolor's electric purple or play with a small amount of fondant & add pink & sky blue until you find the color you want. HTH!

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:41am
post #8 of 13

I've used McCormick Neon Food colors from the grocery store before. The Neon green works pretty well, but I couldnt get the purple right.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:33am
post #9 of 13

For lime green start by mixing a really good bright yellow (wilton lemon yellow) then add green (wilton leaf green) a little at a time. Purple is a bit trickier though - I don't get on well with purple. You could try mixing a bright pink, then add blue or purple a touch at a time.

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 7:38am
post #10 of 13

I would definatly recommend either the Americolor/Duff Electrics. Duff is americolor so you can't go wrong with either Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Chefmaster is a GREAT one also.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 10:24am
post #11 of 13

Yellow mixed with purple will probably turn brown.

NJCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakery Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:05pm
post #12 of 13

Sadly our Michael's where I am at doesn't carry much in the way of cake accessories other than Wilton. They have limited amount of Ace of Cakes items - no colorings though -ugh- Unfortunately, there are no other craft-hobby stores other than Michael's here huge double ugh-

However, I did get neon food colors similar to the McCormick brand, and they work fairly well. The bright purple I made and ended up not using was the neon purple mixed with the neon pink. As mentioned previously, start out with a small amount, and add in very small amounts to get the right color. In the mix I made I started with the neon pink and added the neon purple. It took more pink than purple to get the right color. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:08pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

Yellow mixed with purple will probably turn brown.

thumbs_up.gif

Probably!? I'd say definitely! Seriously, DON'T go adding any yellow to your purple - the result will not be pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%