Super White Fondant

Baking By Debcent Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 12:49pm by Claireybear1121

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 7

When I bought my marshmellows they were super white, to make mm fondant, I'm using only marshmellows, powdered sugar and crisco and water. Why then when I applied my fondant to my dummie cake it looked ivory or off- white? Iam very disappointed in the color. Is there a color difference in other brands and or recipes of fondant? How do you get a nice clean white fondant?

6 replies
jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 7

I am very curious to see the responses as well. I was thinking the exact same thing last when I using "white" mmf. I have heard before to add a touch of violet. It just doesnt make sense though - marshmallows and powdered sugar are VERY white.

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:51am
post #3 of 7

I have wondered the same thing! I bought some wilton white-white to see if adding that to the water will whiten it. I'll be using it later this week. I'll post the results. icon_biggrin.gif

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 7

I've noticed different brands of marshmallows have different tints of off white and if I need it to be more white, I just add a couple drops of white coloring to it. I've used both Bright White by AmeriColor and the Wilton White-White Icing with no problems.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 7

Using the marshmallow creame in a jar instead of regular marshmallows also gives you a much whiter fondant!

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 7

Sooo if I want a super white fondant, what kind should i use?

Claireybear1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claireybear1121 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 7

The problem that I've encountered with bagged marshmallows is that they are indeed super white on the outside, because they are rolled in powdered sugar prior to packaging, but they are an off-white color in the inside. Melting them causes the color to degrade even further, because it imparts a translucent look to them. I have had really good luck with the American Gel whitener/brightener, I add it to gumpaste, fondant, RI... all sorts of things! I've never tried using the Fluff-type cream, but I can see it working well too icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%