Using Fresh Fruit Between Layers

Baking By maramyjo Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 10:11pm by videominx

maramyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maramyjo Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:48am
post #1 of 15

I have been asked to do a tiered cake and the bride wants a fondant covered WASC cake. She has requested fresh, sliced strawberries in between the layers (will be using icing in between as well). How will they hold up and for how long? The cake will be covered in fondant. Will I need to refrigerate, and how will this affect the fondant? I'm using MMF. Thank you so much in advance!

14 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:50am
post #2 of 15

I'm not sure if anyone here has done this, but I would suggest that you steer the bride in the direction of something you are comfortable with doing.
I have done cakes with fresh strawberries in the past, (never covered in fondant though) and the strawberries tend to brown and start watering after a day. They do discolor and change in flavour. icon_sad.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 15

Really? They turn brown? Even if you fold them into icing? Is this fresh or frozen? Also can you sprinkle something like lemon juice over them to prevent that? Like you do with apples?

I've made pureed strawberry SMBC and that didn't turn brown. So I am curious as to why this would happen in between layers, especially since I had my heart set on making a lemon cake with strawberry icing filling.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Really? They turn brown? Even if you fold them into icing? Is this fresh or frozen? Also can you sprinkle something like lemon juice over them to prevent that? Like you do with apples?

I've made pureed strawberry SMBC and that didn't turn brown. So I am curious as to why this would happen in between layers, especially since I had my heart set on making a lemon cake with strawberry icing filling.

I have only had them folded into chantilly cream (whipped cream with vanilla and sugar).
Basically the cake has to be eaten pretty quickly, within a day or two of it being made, and of course it needs to be refrigerated.

maramyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maramyjo Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 15

I appreciate your responses. I was thinking the same thing....steering her away from it. I offered a flavored filling (one made with strawberries or raspberries) but she wanted actual fruit. Having never done that before I thought I should get some opinions. Thank you!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 15

I had a friend "insist"... a beer can cake...lol. We settled on fruit "on the side". A spoonful added on top, when served. Informal party, so it was fine. Inside.... icon_eek.gif ... I didn't want to risk it given the decorating time I needed .

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 15

I use a cooked strawberry recipe that holds up at room temp for a few days, and is actually better tasting than having fresh fruit between the layers! The recipe:
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons corn starch

Combine all ingriendints in saucepan and bring to a boil over med. heat. Stirring constantly, boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat and cool competely. Enough to fill 2 10 in rounds.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 15

ConfectionsCC,
I have a bride that wants a huckleberry filling. Do you think this recipe would work for that as well??
Huckleberries are more tart so maybe I should add a little more sugar? Huckleberries are so small and like gold so I don't want to waste a bunch practicing.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 15

Maybe "preparing" the strawberries ahead of time with sugar and draining will help?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/25142339/ns/today-food/

At the end.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

ConfectionsCC,
I have a bride that wants a huckleberry filling. Do you think this recipe would work for that as well??
Huckleberries are more tart so maybe I should add a little more sugar? Huckleberries are so small and like gold so I don't want to waste a bunch practicing.

You can easily half the recipe, I wouldn't make it for a cake until you have tested it first! I think if they want the huckleberries, they are aware they are a little more tart...I half it all the time, and it works with raspberries and blue berries too!

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 15

I do this quite often! I've only done it with WASC and buttercream though. In between layers, I add a BC damn then instead of icing, I make this strawberry whipped cream - cream cheese filling and place the fresh cut (washed, DRIED and thinly sliced) strawberries and go from there. I always do this the day before because my time is so limited. Now, I know the cake is always cut and eaten the next day - I let them know that the leftovers are to be refrigerated and there's never been any issues brought to my attention. This cake is popular with a good friend of mine who asks for this about every other month. Unfortunately I am not sure how this will hold up for a wedding cake being that you may have to fill 2 days before.
Crap...then that wasn't very helpful at all, huh? icon_confused.gif

Paricus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paricus Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:56pm
post #12 of 15

I'm new to posting but I wanted to share my experience. I recently made a baby shower cake for a friend and used sliced strawberries in between the layers. It was a butter cake and I put a thin layer of BC, strawberries and another thin layer of BC. I as I was decorating, I noticed one spot that was "leaking". I was able to add more BC and it took care of the problem. It was refrigerated until delivery. I think using the "dam" method would help prevent leakage. The cake was delicious and very moist but there must be a better way to do it.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:57pm
post #13 of 15

I use frozen strawberries all the time..with a thin layer of custard under them in the layer to stop bleeding. They worked out perfect, as long as the cake is refrigerated, it never turns brown or mushy. Even after a couple of days.

JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:11pm
post #14 of 15

I just made a cake on Saturday for my son's birthday. Made a fairly high dam with lemon buttercream, spread a light layer of the buttercream and placed fresh thinly sliced strawberries on top and the another light layer of butttercream on the strawberries. Placed the cake layer and iced with more lemon buttercream. Didn't refrigerate at all. It was awesome.

videominx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
videominx Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:11pm
post #15 of 15

The only time I have used fresh strawberries I put a thin layer of bc along with a thick dam on the bottom layer. Then I added a thin layer of sleeved strawberry filling, thinly sliced fresh strawberries on top of that, then another thin layer of the strawberry filling. From there I iced as usual. I was afraid of the fruit becoming discolored in between the layers, so the filling helped to hide any discoloration. Then I would definitely refrigerate.
Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%