I've Just Discovered A Secret For Icing

Decorating By dldbrou Updated 1 May 2011 , 1:23am by dldbrou

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 11

I have never seen this in a post, but I just discovered this product called Brite White. It is suppose to take the greasy taste out of the buttercream icing.

This is what is on the label. Brite White, Use 1 Tablespoon per 1 Cup Crisco. Ingredients: Vegetable Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oils), Citric Acit, Sugar, Nonfat Dry Milk, Wheat Starch, Salt, Corn Starch, Emulsifiers, Dried Egg Whites, Artifical Flavor. 1 lb (.454 kg) $3.59

Okay, wasn't sure if this was gonna work so I used it on two cakes for family parties and it was two totally different groups of people. I actually had people at both parties come up to me and tell me that they never liked icings because of the after taste/greasy taste and that they found this icing did not have any. I actually never eat icing because of this and I found that it did not have that greasy taste.

You might be wondering where to get this and all I can tell you is that I found it at a small cake store in my town. I noticed that in small print it states that it is Packed by Targil Seasoning, Opelousas, La 70570

Has anyone else heard of this?

10 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 11

Yeah, I have some but I won't use it. It has transfat and I no longer eat products with this in it.
I also never get a complaint that my frosting has a greasy feeling, but then again I do not use Crisco either so that may the reason why.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:39am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Yeah, I have some but I won't use it. It has transfat and I no longer eat products with this in it.
I also never get a complaint that my frosting has a greasy feeling, but then again I do not use Crisco either so that may the reason why.

Just wondering where you are located? I agree the crisco makes things greasy, but without it my icing would be a puddle on the board ! One of the joys of living in Louisiana! icon_lol.gif

I think I've seen the product at the Party Time in baton rouge, I've never bought it, but ill definitely give it a try now!

dldbrou Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 11

Vanna, I live in Scott, La

SheriCakes4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheriCakes4u Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 11

Linda, what do you use if not crisco? Hi-ratio?

LindaF144a Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 11

I use Spectrum Organic shortening. It is expensive. At the price I can get at my local grocer it is the same price per ounce as LOL butter.

LindaF144a Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VannaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Just wondering where you are located? I agree the crisco makes things greasy, but without it my icing would be a puddle on the board ! One of the joys of living in Louisiana! icon_lol.gif

I think I've seen the product at the Party Time in baton rouge, I've never bought it, but ill definitely give it a try now!

I live in the NE, not nearly as humid as you are.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:10am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

I have never seen this in a post, but I just discovered this product called Brite White. It is suppose to take the greasy taste out of the buttercream icing.

Icing/buttercream bases have been discussed for several years: icon_lol.gif
(There are several different ones.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5860498.html#5860498
(The posts are old, so some of the links no longer work.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6294687.html#6294687

Brite White recipes thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6089749.html#6089749

HTH

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:44am
post #9 of 11

www.thebakerskitchen.net (mod edited to provide working link) sells angel white icing base if anyone is looking to try it...

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:56am
post #10 of 11

dldbrou, if you're closer to Lafayette (that's where I am), there's a new cake supply store near Michaels:

http://abakerschoice.vpweb.com/About-Us.html

Not as big as Targils, but if you just need something quick, it's better than driving up there. She also has pre-made cascades of sugar flowers really cheap!!

dldbrou Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:23am
post #11 of 11

Korensmommy, that is the place that I bought Brite White. I go there for a few things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%