Do You Have Any Opinions Of The Step Saving Rose Maker?

Decorating By LittleLinda Updated 11 Sep 2005 , 3:55am by LittleLinda

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 12

Wilton has a step saving rose maker set that you cut the rose parts out of fondant or gum paste. I was thinking of getting one.

I have made royal icing flowers that kept forever! How long could flowers made of gum past or MMF last? How would they be stored?

11 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 12

What is so step saving? I mean, royal roses are quick and easy and you need to mold and roll with the rose cutters. Unless you work with fondant alot I wouldn't bother.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 12

I have the Wilton step-saving rose kit where the cutters are the individuals petals. I recently purchased another one (not Wilton brand) that has all the petals together and you simply cut thread and then fold, etc. I like this better than doing the petals individually. I have an anniversary cake in my profile where I used this new cutter.
I don't care for spending much time on this so it worked great!

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 12

I have done roses both ways and personally I love the kit...I can't stand doing the roses petal by petal...I find it so much easier to use this. I also found some cutters called Jem Easy Rose cutters, and they come in larger sizes and they make it so that you don't have to cut down each petal of the flower to seperate it, like you do with the wilton cutters.

If you plan to do fondant or gumpaste roses I definately recommend these cutters or the Jem cutters! thumbs_up.gif

Mixee

frogfiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogfiend Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 12

Mamafrog can you tell me the name of the cutters you use that the petals are together and where I can get them. Thanks

LittleLinda Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 12

In response to "what's so step saving?", that's what I want to know! I looked at an instruction sheet on sugarcraft (where I think I saw that cutter that cuts all the petals at once), it was talking about putting wires on them! What I want is to make completely edible roses, so is that how the kit works?

Also, debsuewoo, I don't think royal roses are exactly "quick and easy". You need all those little pieces of wax paper, you need to pipe out little cones, you need to change the tip to the petal tip and pipe out all the petals, and you need a flower nail. But, if it's still faster than the kit, that's what I want to know.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 12

Well I think there are MAJOR differences between gumpaste and royal! I can understand your question. The look is so different, not even comparable (in my opinion). I really can't remember the name of the cutter that I have with the petals attached. I found several on Sugarcraft... http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-roses.htm#allInOne. Sometimes what seems simple to other people aren't for most of us! I personally have a hard time with any kind of icing flower--royal, BC or gumpaste! I made a few gumpaste recently and they needed work, but looked good on the cake. Good luck!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 7:00am
post #8 of 12

In answer to your original question gumpaste roses keep for ever as long as they are kept somewhere warm and dry. I still have the sprays I made for my wedding cake 6 years ago and they still look exactly as they did when I made them

LittleLinda Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 12

Do gumpaste flowers have to be made on wires?

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 12

You can use tooth picks too. That's what I've done on all my roses.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 12

In response to the part about you have to change tips when making royal roses...you can have 2 bags made up ahead of time.

LittleLinda Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 3:55am
post #12 of 12

candy lady helen,

Actually, what I do is pipe out all my little cones on individual waxed papers, then I change the tip and do all my petals individually with the nail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%