Using Motorized Objects In Cake...help!

Decorating By carmijok Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 11:46pm by SweetTater

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 8

I am looking to do a cake that will have the topper turning. Any help on what kind of small motor to get and how to do it (I'm thinking of running it through a dowel rod). Anyway, any help will be appreciated. the topper will be made of rice crispies. Thanks!

7 replies
SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 8

I'd be interested in this. Has anyone used a small motor inside a cake? I just returned from a cake show and there was a cute little wizard of oz cake with a tornado that spun around on the top of the cake. The motor had to be inside the cake.

I know you can get small motors at radio shack, but how do you put them in the cake? Do you have to wrap them & protect them? How do you turn them off/on?

Please, anyone who has done this, please help!!!

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 8

I have done this before, but did not use a small motor inside a cake. Instead, I inset a small motorized turntable. Often found on Amazon or Jewelry supply stores. Turntables run on batteries and are available in many sizes and weight limits. Some have have the option of turning both directions and variable speeds. It a cheaper alternative without all the crazy wiring. I highly recommend this options for those interested in getting their "feet" wet in motorized cakes. : )

SweetTater Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 8

That sounds great to get the entire tier to turn, but want just a small object on the top of the cake to spin. So I don't think the turntable would do the trick. Thanks for the advice, though.

Has anyone else put a motor inside their cake?

SweetTater Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 8

Unless the little turntable top is about the size of a penny...hmmm...

When you said turntable I was thinking 4-6" across, but maybe they come super small?

online_annie Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 8

How small is your object? They make turntables are small as 2"-3" for little glass figurines and such. Online Hobby and Jewelry Supply stores sell them for around $9-$12. Please keep us informed if you find a way to make it work. I'm sure many others will be interested to know what you choose to do and how you did it. Sorry I could not be of more help. My very best to you!

online_annie Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 8

Just a thought...what about dismantling one of the cheap jewelry boxes that have the spinning ballerina fingures? We can still find some those in our area, not sure if they would have them in yours. It might be worth looking into. I'm actually writing that thought down now for future reference...where was that thought a year ago when I needed it...lol!

SweetTater Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 8

Well, except most jewelry boxes have a wind-up mechanism. I want something battery powered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%