What Tip Would Have Been Used For This Cupcake?

Baking By SUNSHINEMOLLY Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 2:35pm by LindaF144a

SUNSHINEMOLLY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 5:45am
post #1 of 10

I love these little easter cupcakes, I am new at the cake business, I have recently descovered i do actually have a passion for something, i have always loved cooking but this is just nuts.

What tip would have been used for these cute Easter Nest Cupcakes

9 replies
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:11am
post #2 of 10

It looks to me like they used the Wilton #233 tip that is usually used for grass and fur.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:21am
post #3 of 10

I just googled and found the website with the pic on it and the person that made them said in the comments that they did in fact use tip #233.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:23am
post #4 of 10

Grass tip for sure thumbs_up.gif

SUNSHINEMOLLY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:32am
post #5 of 10

Great thank you, i just ordered one, hoping it would be here before easter but Nope icon_sad.gif oh well, wonder if i can pull it off with something else.

Thank you!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 8:09am
post #6 of 10

I did a chocolate cake that had a similar look to it. I melted chocolate into a long bar and then pulled it over the single opening on my grater. I was wanting to get big curls but they came out skinny and long. I tried like crazy to make them look curled on the cake but they were just too stringy...I'll attach the photo link. It sort of looks like what you're looking for! HTH!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1865816

specialtycakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakecreations Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 9:00am
post #7 of 10

As carmijok suggests, you can get this look with grated chocolate or even with a vegetable peeler.
The piece/bar of chocolate needs to be warmed for this. A couple seconds in the microwave will do.
If you do get nice curls from grating/peeling the chocolate put it in the microwave for a couple more seconds. It usually is too warm chocolate that will come out stringy instead of curly.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 10:52am
post #8 of 10

I'm hoping to achieve a similar effect with melted chocolate today or tomorrow. I'm planning on tempering my choc and then whizzing it in messy lines on a frozen granite slab and then curling the whole thing into a circle before it sets too hard... will let you know how it turns out...

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 10

Is it possible to achieve the same look (or similar) by putting fondant through an extruder and get those thin strings, then swirl them to look like a nest?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle

Is it possible to achieve the same look (or similar) by putting fondant through an extruder and get those thin strings, then swirl them to look like a nest?

I tried this. It is in my photos of my DH's bday cake. I wasn't happy with the results, but it worked. I think using the tip and BC would taste better in the end anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%