? About Freezing Cakes, ? About Gumpaste

Decorating By kimmy37 Updated 22 Jan 2007 , 2:03am by Derby

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 3

I have a question. I've always made my cakes only a few days at most before they are due. I work full-time, have two little ones, and am now enrolled in two college classes. I've taken a break from cakes for over a month now, but have some to do next month. I'd like to start on some now.... or at least the baking part. How far in advance do you make cakes? How long do you freeze them for? Do you just wrap them in saran wrap? What about freezing after frosting with BC? After decorating with BC? Need all your freezing tips! icon_lol.gif
Also... I'll be putting on some MMF accents, how far ahead can these be made (nothing spectacular, just polka dots... maybe a bow)
OK... last one. I've read a lot about gumpaste and would like to try it sometime. I understand it dries harder than MMF? Is it the same consistency to work with? I saw a can of it in the Wilton aisle. I glanced at the directions... you add some water to the whole can of gumpaste?? What is the best kind to work with... or is Wilton the only kind?
Thanks for helping!

2 replies
torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:05am
post #2 of 3

I can't answer all your questions but I hope I can help a little icon_wink.gif
I work with mainly mud cakes, choc, white choc and caramel and I have frozen them for a few weeks, because they are dense and moist they seem to be nicer after being frozen..... As for freezing BC ... sorry i can't help you on that one icon_sad.gif .

If you don't need your MMF accents to be soft or pliable you can make them weeks in advance ....the longer you leave it the harder it gets.

As for gumpaste.... I have tried a few recipes and have found a favorite, There are hundreds of recipes out there and its just a matter of finding the one you like. I have never bought a pre made mix so I can't tell you what its like. Gumpaste is great for flowers and delicate work like bows, as it can be rolled out much thinner than fondant, has more elasticity and it dries a lot harder and quicker. If I'm making figures i use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste it gives you a little longer play time. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 2:03am
post #3 of 3

I'm really busy, too, so I freeze fully decorated cakes all the time! I use mostly buttercream and it freezes very well. Just make sure that you box the cake and cover the entire box with plastic wrap and then put it into a clean trash bag, close tightly and freeze. I freeze in a chest freezer. I don't use my freezer in my fridge so that I can avoid any kind of smell transfer from other foods.

This works GREAT! Just make sure that when you defrost it you put it into the fridge FIRST and unwrap it so that it can breathe. I leave mine in the cake box, but crack the lid a little. This will help prevent sweating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%