Size To Start With For Carved Cake?

Decorating By genevieveyum Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 12:48pm by genevieveyum

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a seated/lying down schnauzer cake for 75 people (rkt head). I'm having a hard time deciding what to start with: do I make 4 10" layers and cut them in half and set them on their sides so that I have 8 half-circles standing on edge? Or, should I do 4 9x13 rectangles and then carve away the excess? I don't want to end up with too little cake. and I don't want to make it too difficult for them to serve.

Any suggestions?

6 replies
genevieveyum Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 7

Or should I make really big ovals?

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 7

I would suggest using either the oval cakes or sheet cakes.

I know determining serving sizes from a carved cake was always an issue with me, icon_confused.gif but if you make yourself a pattern it will help you realize the finished cake size....which will then determine the size sheet cakes you need to bake.

genevieveyum Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:03am
post #4 of 7

I'm trying to avoid having to carve too much. I know that I can make cake balls, but I think that they're a pita to make and I'm more likely to just eat the scraps!

If I do the oval/sheet route, should I have a supported board half-way through? I'm thinking that it may be 8-10 inches high.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:21am
post #5 of 7

Yes you really should. The rule of thumb is: support for every 4" - 6" of cake. thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:21am
post #6 of 7

I recently made a sort of Boxer-ish cake....I started with two 11x15 sheet cakes stacked...and carved it down to maybe 30-40 servings, and just froze the scraps for a trifle or something later. For a large 70 serving dog cake I imagine you'd need around 4 of that size sheet cakes. You can always piece stuff back together...I had to take some scraps and layer it around the dog's neck and head to get the right proportions.

genevieveyum Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks guys! Kitagrl- the puppy's adorable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%