New Here!!

Decorating By CakesByEmily82 Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 2:28am by Newtothis

CakesByEmily82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEmily82 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:36am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this site tonight and am very excited to join!

I'll start by introducing myself. My name is Emily. I'm 28 years old and I live in Ohio. I have a wonderful husband named Kevin and we have 2 little boys name Christian (7) and Aiden (3 in May)

I have been posting photos of the cakes and cupcakes I make on my facebook page. I'm starting to get orders!! Just this past weekend I made a Monkey Head for a little boys birthday party. I'm so excited. It's something I would love to really get into. So far, I have 7 orders in the next few months!! I have a question which I'm sure has been asked several times. Is there any type of laws in Ohio that I need to follow about baking and selling cakes out of my home? I would like to hand out business cards in the future and maybe have a website so people can view what I do... I've read that I need to list all of the ingredients but do I need a Tax ID or anything like that? All information you can give would be great!!!

Happy Baking,


3 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:46am
post #2 of 4

Hi Emily! Welcome. Im not sure of the Cottage Food law in Ohio I'm working on getting one past here in Nevada, but there is a forum on this, search Cottage Food law here on CC. Can't wait to see your cakes icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:48am
post #3 of 4

Welcome, Emily! I think you're going to like it here very much. We're all pretty much crazy about cake decorating and we've all helped each other learn more and more every day. I don't have an answer to your question, because, as you can see, I don't live anywhere near Ohio, but I do have a suggestion. Besides checking into your state's requirements for this sort of thing, check into local regulations as well, because they can vary from place to place. State and local health departments, department of agricultures and tax offices (plus the IRS) are the ones you should look into particularly. I hope you can turn this into a business, if that's what you want to do. Best of luck!

Newtothis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newtothis Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:28am
post #4 of 4

Where in Ohio are you? We have a cake club that meets the second Tuesday of every month in Powell. Have you ever been to the ICES days of sharing in Columbus?

Quote by @%username% on %date%