Can I Successfully Freeze A Cake Iced With Butter Cream??

Decorating By CarolLee Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 6:43pm by samgill99

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 8

I've never tried to freeze a cake with buttercream on it. Here's the deal. I took an order for a cake and just realized it will be due one day AFTER our vacation... GGRRRRR......I don't want to compromise the taste. Just wondering - has anyone done this? Results?

7 replies
KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 8

I've had brides tell me that their cakes taste as fresh or better on their one-year anniversary than they tasted on their wedding day, but I've never frozen a cake for an order. What I tell my brides to do is to double wrap in saran, then double wrap in heavy foil. To thaw, put in refrigerator for a day then to countertop---still covered, for about a day. I don't know how you would accomplish decorating with the thawing process. Perhaps someone else has a different thawing process.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 8

I made a cake for a St. Jude benefit......well I was a week early on the date. So I froze it in a cake saver for a week. It was covered in buttercream with fondant and RI decorations. I pulled it the night before and let it sit in the cake saver in the cool basement until the event and it was perfect! I couldn't believe it but nothing was compromised.

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 8

I am sure that when I tried this, I mucked it up myself, but my buttercream just flat fell off the cake. Needless to say, I will avoid this in the future since I was probably the bad variable and I will inevitably be so again.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 8

Decorated cakes are shipped frozen by wholesalers all the time.

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 8

Just as I suspected. I could tear up a steel ball with a glass hammer.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 8

I've done it several times! I probably overwrap but they're always fresh, moist, & beautiful!

samgill99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samgill99 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 8

I do this all the time. I bake, torte, fill, ice and then freeze. However, I use IMBC - I've never tried this with regular buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%