Mini Cakes - What's The Best Way To Decorate 60!

Decorating By jo_cake Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 6:26pm by labmom

jo_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_cake Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:45am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, I would like some mini cake advice please. I'm making 60 mini cakes for my sisters wedding, I have made a few trial cakes and they went okish!

I will have baked all 60 the day before decorating. So what would the best approach to completing the whole task? e.g: coat 10 in butter cream then cover each with sugar paste, and do them in small batches like that. Or cover all 60 with butter cream and cover them with sugar paste one after another?

Also, do you find it better to slightly chill the butter cream covered cakes before covering with sugar paste?

Thank you

9 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 11:07am
post #2 of 10

If it were me I would cut them all out, fill all of them, cover all in buttercream, cover all in sugarpaste, decorate all of them. If you do 10 at a time your stopping and starting all the time and you'll have to clean up more etc.

I think it would be easier if the cakes were chilled. I haven't actually made a small cake yet but that is how I would do them.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 10

Good Luck!!! I just did 50 poodle skirts and they took longer than I thought!!! Chilled definitely worked better, and easier to handle! icon_biggrin.gif

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 10

What shape are they? Are they going to have any filling?

I did 100 square mini cakes once (NEVER AGAIN!) and they took forever!

Because they were square and had filling, I baked some 12" square cakes (2" high), torted them, filled them, let them set up in the fridge and then cut them into 3"x3" squares. I then crumb coated each one, chilled, and then covered each one in fondant.

Just a word to the wise, mini cakes (of any style) are labor-intensive and take a lot of time to do, so I would figure that into your schedule.

Good Luck!

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 10

I need to make 150 mini cakes (what was I thinking?) and I want them to be about 3" round 2" tall. Any idea where to get pans so I can bake at least 12 at once? I was a straight side so cupcake pans do not work. I see pics of them everywhere - where are they getting the pans???!! Ideas? Also, how do you frost a tiny cake without them slidding all over the place? Any hints, suggestions etc would be helpful.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 10

I am also doing mini cakes but it is for the bridal shower. I purchased 3 tier wedding cake pans from QVC i don't know who makes them but they are great. larger than I thought. But they are heavy and bake great. I followed the directions about letting them cool before taking the cakes out..nope. I took one out just as soon as I could handle the pan and it came out great. But the ones that I waited lost a part of the top tier. It did come out and I was able to reattach it but I liked the way they came out while the pans are still warm.
Each of these pans have 4 cakes on each pan so I can bake 8 at a time.
I have seen people bake sheet cakes make sure there level and then cut them out with what ever shape cutters. I did that for my daughters shower but I like these bake and decorate better. I can always cut off the bottom tier if I want them smaller, and just make it 2 tier. I have seen this pan with 2 cakes on ebay for like 7.99. Don't know if it is still there.

I don't plan on putting fondant on these because the bride hates it I am just going to decorate it wedding cake like. Now my problem is finding a container for each one so people can take them home.

louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 10

for 150 mini cakes i would not try to bake individual, you bake sheet cakes and use a biscut cutter to cut out rounds the size you need.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:43am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by louanne

for 150 mini cakes i would not try to bake individual, you bake sheet cakes and use a biscut cutter to cut out rounds the size you need.

Dont you find them harder to cover vs baked edges? Could they be dipped?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:18pm
post #9 of 10

I did dip the 50 I did, in warm ganache, that I made a little "harder" than normal. It made them very smooth, BUT it was still a long tedious process! icon_lol.gif

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 10

I prefer the baked individual cakes that I don't need to worry about putting them together, and leaning, and trying to frost the crumb edge on delicate little cakes.

I can cut them down to a two tier if I would (simply bake smaller in the mold.)

I never thought about dipping the cakes. I dip eggs (cupcake shaped) every year in white chocolate for easter. I tint various colors.

I have white chocolate left maybe I will try and dip in white chocolate. Then decorate with small delicate fondant flowers. Or maybe dotted swiss.

I am baking a set tonight to practice on. I will let you know how they turn out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%