Freeze Or Refrigerate? Help This Newbie!!

Decorating By LuvMozzie Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 11:17pm by jammjenks

LuvMozzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvMozzie Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the site and new to decorating cakes. Haven't taken any courses... just sort of learning as I go (thanks to YouTube and the Internet! LOL)...

I'm making some Betty Crocker boxed mixes (sorry to those that prefer cooking from scratch! I'll get to that point eventually!) for 2 cakes I'm taking into work on Tuesday.

I'm making the cakes today just because of timing... But I can't seem to get a straight storage answer from online so I'm hoping you guys can help...

There are going to be 2 rectangle (9x13) cakes... Each double layered with a layer of pudding in between... How should I save the cakes until tomorrow (it'll be about exactly 24 hrs from now that I decorate and about 44 hrs until the cakes are served)? I don't have a ton of freezer space, so I was figuring fridge. Do I just plastic wrap? Do I plastic wrap and foil wrap? Do I crumb coat first? And if I crumb coat, do I then put plastic wrap over it?

HELP!!! I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew... These are only the 3rd and 4th cakes that I've made (and the 1st one didn't make it past "Crumb Coat" because I was too hungry! LOL)...

1 reply
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 2

If you're using a pudding filling, you'll definately need to refrigerate.

I would fill and stack, crumbcoat, then refrigerate. I wouldn't wrap it, but that's just me. You could wrap it if you wanted to. Either way would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%