What Type Of Support For A Stand Like This?

Decorating By sweetbrantleys Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 11:08pm by sweetbrantleys

sweetbrantleys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbrantleys Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:57am
post #1 of 5

this is from an amazingly tallented woman in CA. how would you go about using a stand like that? she uses them in a lot of her cakes. does the tier underneith need to be foam? please help! icon_smile.gif

thank you!


4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:39am
post #2 of 5

It could be a styrofoam dummy, but it can also be done with real cake. It would be supported the same way as using a wine glass as a separator.

The stands look like wood to me. The two could be screwed together with a threaded rod much like a threaded center pole. If so, I don't believe the pole or possible threaded rod is full length because the upper tiers are leaning.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:54am
post #3 of 5

The bottom tier looks like a dummy to me. But like the other post, it can be done! I always wondered how they supported it, it would need to distribute the weight somehow, what if you got a cardboard underneath the fondant, with supports under that...then the stand on top would have a wider board to distribute the weight without being seen? Never done that technique nor have I researched it! I will be interested to see what others say!

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 5:02am
post #4 of 5

I would love to learn how to do it too, never done it before thumbs_up.gif

sweetbrantleys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbrantleys Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 5

thanks for the responses everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%