Alcohol In Truffles

Sugar Work By cblupe Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 4:08pm by scp1127

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 4

I am applying for a liquor license with an endorsement attached for "alcohol in candy". I use very little alcohol in my ganache; just for flavoring. The liquor board would like to know the % by volume and I am not a math wizard. Can anyone explain how to figure this out?


3 replies
LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 4

Could they mean liquor filled candy like molded chocolate with liquor inside? Extracts are alcohol based so it wouldn't make much sense to me that using some alcohol to flavor ganache would be an issue. Curious..

Sarahdee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahdee2007 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 4

Your flavoring should have the alcohol% listed with the ingredients, or somewhere else on the Bottle. On my vanilla flavoring, it is listed with the ingredients as 35%. Anything with alcohol in it will have the % somewhere on the bottle, even mouthwash. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 4

Are you sure you need to do this? My health department just wants my recipes readily available. I offer about 25 tpes of spirits in my bakery products. I'm even working on an Absinthe recipe that until a few years ago, was banned in the US. My Bailey's cake has 1/2 cup brushed on the cake. I'm not doubting you, but I think the liquor board may be confused. Vanilla extract is 35% alcohol by law per the FDA. That is 70 prof, the same as many vodka brands. Are you seriously using more liquor than you would be using vanilla in a truffle? They won't hold but so much liquid and stay together. Liqueurs are around 20% alcohol, or 40 proof... far below vanilla extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%