Cream Cheese Frosting Question

Baking By oyamary Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 10:16am by Kitty5Kat

oyamary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oyamary Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:16am
post #1 of 4

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and pretty new with baking cupcakes. I have been testing recipes for a while and hopefully will be baking from home. I live in Istanbul Turkey.
Yesterday I tried a cream cheese frosting recipe. It was a basic recipe. Mix cream cheese, butter & powdered sugar and I added lemon extract.
The cream cheese in Turkey is alot runnier than any in the state so I strain it first. I beat the frosting for about 15 minutes but it still seemed crunchy from the powdered sugar.
Any ideas what I could have done wrong? Maybe its because of the cream cheese?
Do you think beating the butter and sugar first and adding the cream cheese later would work?
Your opinions are appreciated.
Thanks.

3 replies
Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:39am
post #2 of 4

i would generally beat the butter and cream cheese together and then sift the sugar and add it to the mixture. the only 2 reasons i could think of is 1- sugar not being sifted 2- sugar being too much.. think about reducing ur sugar
ohh and i dont think u need to strain ur cream cheese.. well i kind of dont understand why u do it

oyamary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oyamary Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:45am
post #3 of 4

I actually didn't sift the sugar.

I strain the cream cheese because it is quite watery and if I don't strain it the frosting becomes too runny.

The recipe I used was 2 ounce butter, 4 ounce cream cheese, 1 tbsp lemon extract & 2 cups powdered sugar. Maybe I should be adding the sugar in smaller batches?

Kitty5Kat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitty5Kat Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 10:16am
post #4 of 4

I always cream my cream cheese and butter first until they are nice and blended (creamy) and then add my extract and then the SIFTED powder sugar a little at a time. Once it is all blended I take it off the mixture and finish mixing it up with a spatula so that I can get it nice and smooth without beating more air into it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%