What Are The Bubble Tea Straws / Or Straws Everyone Is Using

Decorating By labmom Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 12:11am by Cealy

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:00am
post #1 of 4

I am seeing more and more people use straws for cake supports. I think that is nice because they would cut evenly and easily but I always worry about the weight of cakes.
I have been using wiltons "hidden" pillars cut to level.. where the above cake plate sits right in the pillars...for me it adds more support nice. and If would need to put a support down the middle the cake plate can be adjusted. Just wish that wilton would make the pillars 4 inches instead of 5 & 9 inch. Just cutting them is a pain
So anyone who can tell me about these heavy duty straws and where you get them would be great.

3 replies
Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:07am
post #2 of 4

They are the straws that you get at a bubble tea shop. That's the iced tea with tapioca pearls. If you don't have that kind of shop to scoop a couple to try [;°)] then you can get them at just about any asian supermarket. If not, the wonderful world of online shopping awaits you!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:09am
post #3 of 4

They are called boba tea straws in case you can't find them. They were and are used for an asian tea that has tapioca balls in them that can't because of their size fit through a regular size straw. I find mind in asian markets but they can be purchased online at ( just did a quick google search):

Cealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cealy Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:11am
post #4 of 4

Bubble tea straws can be found at pretty much any asian supply store or you could try any restaurants in your area that specializes in Thai food. I actually found some at a party supply store too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%