I Am So Bummed--Why Did This Happen???

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 4:05am by cakesrock

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:27am
post #1 of 8

I made 50 beautiful heart cookies for a luncheon. They were covered with fondant--white on one half of the cookie and either deep baby pink, pale green, lavendar or yellow on the other half. Matching colored pearls were added to the white side, and they were bagged in food grade little plastic bags and sealed. When I opened the box a few days later, I could have just cried. The green and the yelllow were fine, but the baby pink had faded to nearly white and the lavendar had turned an awful blueish color. The lavendar ones were in the process of turning and still showed some of the lavendar in the cookies on the bottom of the box.
Now I am afraid to make more. I used my MMF fondant that I have always used on NFSC recipe. What in the world caused this. icon_cry.gif
What a mess if they were for a wedding or anything for that matter and people opened a box to find 300 cookies that looked like that.

7 replies
jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:59am
post #2 of 8

This is extremely common. The pink (especially light pink) almost always fades. I have a 4 tier wedding cake in baby pink coming up in May and I won't be icing it until 2 hours before delivery.
The lavendar faded because it had baby pink in it.
There are no-fade colorings out there, but they are really icky looking from what I've heard.
Sorry this happened to you, hard lesson learned, but I would try and steer people away from light pink if you have to make the item so far in advance.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 8

I've had this happen to me before with pink fondant, not so much purple. Apparently the UV light fades out the pink colour. Now I make the fondant the day before and I cover the wrapped fondant with a cloth and put it in a dark place. This gives the pink colouring a chance to cure and set.

I've made pink flowers and left them on my work table to dry. When they dried, they were white! I guess they were exposed to the natural and/or artificial light. Now I make them and put them in a dry dark place with no natural light. I have a shelf in my cupboard just for this drying process and it works just fine. I put all my coloured work in here just in case of fading!

Hope this helps! Good luck with your next project!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 8

The precolored commercial fondant has more stable colors. I've held a pink dummy cake for nine months or so before it really started looking faded. And the purple is quite stable.

Cookies4kids Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks ladies. If you made your pink deeper than you wanted it would that help or would it just go down to white again? Is there any chance that the plastic bag had anything to do with it? I have pink and lavendar coming up again for someone and I am afraid to do it.
Why is life so difficult sometimes icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:19pm
post #6 of 8
Cookies4kids Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:30am
post #7 of 8

Sweetcakes thanks for the links. I tried that when coloring my lavendar and pinks today and so far there is no fading. It is wonderful all the things that people share on this site.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:05am
post #8 of 8

What if you were to freeze them if you needed to make them pretty far in advance? That may help...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%