Big Cake Ball

Decorating By seedrv Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 11:30am by seedrv

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make a Mario cake similar to this but dont want to use Styrofoam or RKTs to make the man eating flower part. Could this be made out of a cake ball? Has anyone made a large cake ball (like 3 size)? I've never made them and have no experience with them. Thanks!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1824537

6 replies
ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 7

No problem making the 3" cake ball... but I wouldn't attempt doing so with a wedge cut out of it, as it is in the cake that you showed. If I were going to attempt it, I'd use a very firm cake and put multiple coats of ganache on it to create a hard shell on the shaped/cut cake. Honestly, I'd use RKT, unless you really want to experiment. Good luck and - as always - have fun!

seedrv Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 7

Yea, ycknits, it's an experiment only. I hate the thought of having to use Styrofoam and some decorators are acting like RKTs are a dirty word. So Im looking into cake ball/ spackle to see if thats an option for some things.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 7

I agree that it's more impressive to construct the entire assembly from cake, but sometimes that's just not do-able or practical. I figure as long as it's all edible, no one can scoff icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 7

1. Do you know the cake in the photo that part was made of styrofoam? I don't see that indicated anywhere.

2. Styrofoam is lighter than RKT, so that maybe another reason why a design like that is made of styrofoam.

3. I just finished taking a cake class where structure was discussed. I agree with the previous poster who said that structurally it may not hold up with that big of a cutout part.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:11am
post #6 of 7

A cake ball as big as that is going to be really heavy. I can't see it staying on the stick and I don't see a way to put a board there. However, you may be able to put a board at the point where it separates and make just the bottom out of RKT.

seedrv Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:30am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

A cake ball as big as that is going to be really heavy. I can't see it staying on the stick and I don't see a way to put a board there. However, you may be able to put a board at the point where it separates and make just the bottom out of RKT.

That's a good idea too. I use two and three inch sphere cakes a lot. I just need some time to play around with this cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%