How Far In Advance Can I Bake A Cake?

Decorating By jaymelouwho Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 3:16pm by SweetCakesbyAmy

jaymelouwho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaymelouwho Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new here, so I hope I posted this in the right place. I have to make 10 6 inch cakes for my wedding this weekend on Sunday. How soon could I strt baking the cakes? They're being covered in marshmallow fondant. Can I go ahead and cover them? And what is the best way to store them to ensure freshness? Thanks in advance for any advice!

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 5

You could start baking them now, freeze them, and let them thaw when you're ready to start covering them with icing and fondant.

If you'd rather not freeze, and you're ready to start working on them now, once they're coveredthey won't dry out. You can store them on the counter at room temperature as long as you aren't using fillings that require refrigeration.

jaymelouwho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaymelouwho Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 5

I have found that freezing my cakes helps retain that moisture and it is a great time saver, just make sure you have room in your freezer. Make sure to let them completely thaw before decorating so the cake doesn't sweat therefore making it more difficult to frost with icing.

SweetCakesbyAmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 5

So when you freeze them do you icing them at all before hand? I usually cut my in half and put icing in the middle then freeze them before I do my crumb coat---is this a correct way to do this?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%