Painting Mickey's Head

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 3:01am by Molly2

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:37am
post #1 of 10

I will be making a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake next month I want to make the Mickey head using Styrofoam, I want to paint it instead of using fondant because I think the head will be to heavy, my question is what kind of paint should I use for Mickeys head? Any help is appreciated

Molly

9 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:49am
post #2 of 10

i would use either black buttercream or royal icing. You can do either of them now and it will be dry enough to handle for your cake in a month.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 10

Unless you use some kind of edible paint, and I don't think it would adhere to any styrofoam either, I wouldn't use it due to being next to something edible. I would use leily's idea and if anything you have a month to come up with another way to design your cake.

Molly2 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 10

Thank You

Molly

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:25am
post #5 of 10

If you do a really thin layer of gumpaste it shouldn't be too heavy, and if you put a cardboard and dowels under the head it shouldn't really matter how heavy it is, right? I'm doing a minnie mouse cake next weekend, so I can let you know how mine turns out/how I decide to do the head/ears. Good luck with your project1

bakingkat Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:27am
post #6 of 10

If you do a thin layer of gumpaste or fondant it shouldn't be too heavy. Being on foam it definately won't be as heavy as cake. And you can always support it like you would cake with dowels/straws, then it doesn't matter how heavy it is. I'm making a minnie mouse cake next weekend for my niece so I can let you know how I decided to make the ears/head. Good luck with your project!

Molly2 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 10:56am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingkat

If you do a thin layer of gumpaste or fondant it shouldn't be too heavy. Being on foam it definately won't be as heavy as cake. And you can always support it like you would cake with dowels/straws, then it doesn't matter how heavy it is. I'm making a minnie mouse cake next weekend for my niece so I can let you know how I decided to make the ears/head. Good luck with your project!

Please PM me and let me know how it works out I will be traveling with this cake and my fear is that it will be too heavy and crack my cake.

Thank You
Theresa

bakingkat Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:20am
post #8 of 10

Sorry for the double post, it didn't show that it posted, so I re-did it. icon_sad.gif Do you have a picture of the design that you're planning? If so PM it to me so I can have a better idea if ours are close enough to help you out. icon_smile.gif

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:35am
post #9 of 10

Hey Molly!

I've made two Mickey hats in the last few months!
My Mickey hat(In pictures) is made with black fondant - I used the wilton ball pan and covered it in fondant - and let it dry for a few days - then I took it off the mold - very light light weight - I made sure to put holes for the ears before it dried - I used lollipop sticks and made ears - also letting them dry for a few days prior.

My minnie hat (in pics) I used the wilton ball pan and molded RKT inside of it for the shape of the head - I iced the RKT with BT and then covered it in black fondant - I did the same thing with the ears - made on lollipop sticks (I made the ears a week in advance) and then stuck it into the hat - rkt icon_smile.gif

I hope this will help you! I found the RKT was much more supportive and also very light weight!

Good luck!

Molly2 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:01am
post #10 of 10

I will be trying to make the Mickey Mouse full head like the one on the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Topper this will be sitting on a rod which will be covered in black fondant, thats why I'm wanting something very lite

Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%