Getting Started In The Cake Business.

Business By ShayJazz Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 1:40am by ShayJazz

ShayJazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayJazz Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 9

I would like to offer my cupcakes and cakes for sale. How do I get started? Do I need a FIN? I'm currently a dance instructor and I am thinking about doing this to supplement my income.
Thanks for any advice. I've gotten good feedback from everyone who has tried my cakes.

8 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 9

You need to contact your city for all the legalities.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 9

As mentioned above you need to contact your local health dept to find out what the legatlities are. Some states allow home bakeries, others you can rent a commercial kitchen, and others you need to have a fully seperate kitchen that you do not share. And cities/towns can have more strict regulations than your state.
I am not sure where your location is so it's hard to tell you what you need to do.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:00am
post #4 of 9

New York State varies by county, so you would need to contact your local health dept and ask if home bakeries are permitted (ask if there is a cottage food law). If not, you could rent a commercial space (which sucks IMO). Or, risk getting in trouble by the health dept for selling cakes from home icon_surprised.gif

ShayJazz Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:44am
post #5 of 9

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help! I live in NY State so i'll check and post the results.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 9

OMG ShayJazz, I too am a dance educator, and competition judge, and caker...LOL! As the others have said first check with your local Health dept. to find out if you can legally bake from your home kitchen, if so, then do what they require to get your license. Do a business plan, even if this is just going to supplement your income, you might discover that cakes overtake your life...LOL! If you don't plan for growth it could end you before you've really begun. NY is extremely competitve not only in our danceworld, but even more so in the cake world so you have to distinguish yourself from everyone else. What makes your product stand out from all the others? Find that and then market your brand to the masses. Marketing is key!

Good luck, Merdi, and Break A Leg girl!

ShayJazz Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks cakesdivine! My dance company has competed at many competitions over the years....so glad to run into a dancer who also has a passion for cake! Your advise gave me food for thought before I embark on this new journey. icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 9

Not meaning to commandeer the thread, but are you on danceart.com?

ShayJazz Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:40am
post #9 of 9

No not yet I will check it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%