Why Did This Happen? (Picture Attached)

Decorating By SweetTater Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 3:09pm by leah_s

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 13

This was my first carved cake. The cake looked good the night before, but the next day, it started sagging. But just on the front. I used a buttercream under the fondant that is 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco, maybe it was too soft?

I also used chocolate mmf, first time making chocolate mmf. It wasn't stretchy, seemed to tear easily. I think next time I'll just tint my regular mmf brown. I don't think it was the fondant, though.

I don't think it was an air bubble. I tried popping w/pin and smoothing, but didn't help. More of a sagging problem. Maybe the cake underneath? I had carved too much of an angle at the bottom and built it back up with cake scraps. This probably added to the problem.

What kind of buttercream do you use under your fondant for carved cakes? And do you just crumb coat, or put a little more?

12 replies
SweetTater Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 13

my picture won't attach, why does this never work for me? it is a jpeg file and only 1mb. i never have problems uploading photos to my personal album, but can't get them attached to a post.

SweetTater Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 13

Here's the link to the photos:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1993876

[/img]

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 13

my first thought would be that there was too much buttercream underneath the fondant

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTater

my picture won't attach, why does this never work for me? it is a jpeg file and only 1mb. i never have problems uploading photos to my personal album, but can't get them attached to a post.

There is a bug on the site that you can't load a picture to the forums.... links are the best bet right now.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 13

Did you freeze the cake (too long) before putting fondant on? I had that happen when I forgot about the cake in the freezer. I was only freezing it for 10 minutes and I think it was in there for about an hour. I try to set timers, but sometimes I forget.

mommafixit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommafixit Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 13

I've had this to happen also. I know I had put to much buttercream on it and the weight of the fondant just pulled it down.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 13

I'm thinking the same as Alfiesmom...but it really doesn't look as bad as you think! You did a wonderful job on the details and you already know the steps to correct it the next time! Great jobicon_smile.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 13

I always completely ice my cakes before putting on fondant that way if they peel off the fondant they still have some butter cream on my cake. After icing, my cake sits in the frig for 24 hours so it can settle and the icing can get "hard". I also use the same type of butter cream you did---1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening. It appears that the fondant never got really smoothed down---like there is extra fondant. Did you rub, rub, rub all the sides of the cake--after smoothing/rubbing the top?

SweetTater Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 13

The fondant was very smooth after I first applied it. After it was covered, I set it aside for a few hours because I had other things to do. When I came back to it to finish adding the bow, handle & flowers there was a slight buckle. I tried to smooth it out. By the next afternoon it was pretty saggy.

I did freeze the cake after carving it. But I let it defrost for several hours before I starting icing. I don't think that was the issue.

I'll try putting the cake in the fridge for several hours after it has the buttercream coat and before I apply the fondant. I think it probably had something to do with that and the fact I had added cake scraps to the bottom because I had carved too much away.

Thanks for the tips!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 13

The same thing happened to me. I agree with you that it was a combo of two things - carved too thin at the bottom and too much buttercream. Now I just apply a thin coat and make sure that the layers inside the cake have thick buttercream layers. Also, the base is the most important part of a cake that is going to stand upright so we just have to be sure not to carve away too much of it.

You solved your own question so good for you! It's awful to see that lump in the a.m., isn't it? icon_lol.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #12 of 13

Your cake settled. The fondant buckled at the bottom as a result.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:09pm
post #13 of 13

ditto CWR41.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%