I'm Obsessed.. Help! Were You All This Way???

Decorating By schustc Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 10:55am by mmmmmmmmcake1954

schustc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schustc Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 15

icon_sad.gif I don't know what happened - Last year I made my first 'cake' of any creative sort for my daughters 2nd birthday.

I don't think I made a cake again up to a couple of months ago, when I tried my first batch of fondant ever- and just made a cake to put it on. literally just a way to use it up. I was doing a test run for my daughter's 3rd birthday cake and wanted to see if I could make it.

Then, I started the CAKE. Dreaming it, for weeks planning in my head what it would look like, how to make it stand up, I couldn't sleep for 2 weeks because my head was swimming with ideas and worries. the final product was ok for an amateur, ok for my 2nd ever creative cake. really not that great but it was a huge undertaking and i DID it. not perfect. but I DID it.

now - all I can think about it cake stuff. I am OBSESSED. I want to do it all. I want my own bakery. I want to learn everything. Improve. Be GREAT.

But I can't really do much. I am the only one working, and I fight sadness frequently because I go to work and my husband stays home with our daughter. He was laid off 3 (almost) years ago, and can't find work. our plans were to always have me be a stay at home mom - but that's not how it worked out. So in my free time, I soak up every second of mommy time I can get. Spending time baking does not work out when I want to be with her.

So I want this like crazy, but can't spend the time I want to with her, and do this. So live with the ideas and dreams in my head of what I WANT to do, and can't...

I'm obsessed with it, but may never be able to really pursue it. Have any of you felt so obsessed with wanting to do this? how did you handle it? I think I may have to wait until she is in school, and hopefully by then (she is 3) my husband will be working and then i can do this. I hope. icon_sad.gif

14 replies
sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 15

I even dream about cake! Obsession definitely defines me + cake. icon_razz.gif

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 15

Im new to this too , decorated my first cakes for Christmas 2010. It has become a bit of an obsession for me , but I also work fulltime . I would love to do this all the time but like you my husband is out of work at the moment and we really need a steady income ! Try and enjoy it as a lovely hobby . I know I would way prefer to be earning money doing this than in my "real" job , but for the moment I have to keep doing what I am doing to bring in a wage . I love making cakes for friends and family as a hobby. Anyway the grass isnt always greener . From looking through all the posts here from people making cakes for a living ,its far from easy ! At least as a hobby there is less stress ! Heppy baking icon_smile.gif

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:43am
post #4 of 15

Ditto, I made my son's first birthday cake, and haven't been able to stop ever since. I also work fulltime, and have an almost two year old, so I know what you mean.

I get my fix by coming on here, looking at books, blogs etc. I don't get to make a lot of cakes, but when I do have an occasion I just make the most of it. So when you're in the shower, plan cakes in your head. When you have some computer time, look at some blogs (or get them e-mailed to you as they are updated). It's the only way I can get my fix!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:11am
post #5 of 15

I tottally agree, I think, and dream about cake. I see something and say "oh I can do that" I have an idea and oh that would be nice! It takes me at lease 2 weeks worth of researching pictures and putting it together in my head before it comes out in a cake. I watch many different shows which I am sure you do too and and totally obsorb myself in what they are doing. It is my relief from reality time and I love it and wouldn't change a thing. My last last was a beer pong cake that I mad into an actual table it was awsome and I loved that I was able to put it together. All I can say is happy baking everyone and post pictures icon_smile.gif

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:40am
post #6 of 15

I was definitely obsessed when I first started! I was sad when I finished a cake because that was over! It's waned a bit now, though, with four orders due in 6 days, I wish I had some obsession left!

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:51am
post #7 of 15

Perhaps we need to start a buddy system, whereby we newbies who are obsessed pair up with you guys who are a bit over it. The perfect team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwonka

I was definitely obsessed when I first started! I was sad when I finished a cake because that was over! It's waned a bit now, though, with four orders due in 6 days, I wish I had some obsession left!

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:18am
post #8 of 15

Yeap, when I have a cake to do it takes me a long time to figure out what i want it to look like, look at thousands of pictures, ask my mom and hubby what they think the prettiest one would be, fall asleep thinking about it....But once I am in to it and making it and am working on it for going on three hours or more, Im over it, swear it is the last one until someone sees it, complements it and then I get inspired again. It is a vicious cycle. I work full time and have a 5 and 2 year old so the dreaming of it is still fun to obsess about but due to time, I am getting better at forgetting about it!

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:42am
post #9 of 15

Yes, "obsessed" would definitely describe what I feel about caking!! I actually caught the bug a couple of years ago from watching Cake Boss and saying to myself "I can do that"!! I then got on You Tube and started researching how-to videos (Edna De La Cruz was a HUGE inspiration!) and they all made things seem so easy.
I have been on medical leave (applying for Social Security disability and am in that process for well over a year now!!) and so I actually look and dream much more than I actually "cake". Unfortunately, if I had found that I have this talent when I was 10 or 15 years younger, I think that I would have made a real name for myself in this industry. At the very least I would have owned my own couture cakery. But, since most of my days are spent not being able to move about very well, I just dont think that my dream of owning a "real" shop will ever be realized. And, that saddens me.
So, I hope that at the very least, you feel blessed that you CAN bake and decorate when you have the time. Just remember that there are some of us that have the time but literally can't do it.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:52am
post #10 of 15

Go to your library and rent sugarshacks DVDs! I just got them, and I started back in August and I am already working towards opening a home bakery! Maybe check with your local HD to see if they will license a home kitchen and get to work! I am soooo obsessed!! I think we all are on here icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif My career started when I was really young and had a full ride scholarship to culinary school, only to find out I couldn't go because my husband (then boyfriend) and I became pregnant and I went into mommy mode. I got the chance to decorate a cake last year for my birthday and it was a hit among family and friends I kept decorating and I haven't looked back! You can do it! It is hard having young children and doing this, but while he is laid off, this is a good time to practice, and have your kids give you a helping hand! My kids got to play with fondant when I started, and still help me to "clean the buttercream off the bowl"! They love that I make cakes, and my son tells ALL of his friends at school that I do them LOL!!

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:01am
post #11 of 15

So obsessed!! I too dream about cake and wish I could do this full time!! I am working a job I hate and as a single mom getting no help it seems an impossible dream to open a store front!! I do make cakes for all of my friends and they ALWAYS tell me to open my own bakery, I tell them yeah when I win the lottery or find my rich investor!! My state does not have a cottage law and hey I live in an apartment anyway! But I still make cake and dream! Always dream of someday when I can do it full time!

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:46am
post #12 of 15

I was obsessed a couple of years ago. It was nice my kids were older and my one daughter took all 4 wilton courses with me. I have always cooked and baked with my kids and now my son is a chef. You can do it with small children by making them involved. Yes it may take you longer but you can still practice things with her and spend time with her. My kids never forgot when I put them on the counter to help. To this day they continue to cook and bake with me. It really brings out the creative side for them.

I only bake for family and friends and enjoy doing so. I do not want my own business because I don't want the joy to leave my obsession.

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:59am
post #13 of 15

I have made my childrens' birthday cakes for years. Starting last year I had friends requesting I make their birthday cakes or cakes for their children. So I have become better and better at. I never really thought I would want to do this full time becuase It is so much work. My husband has been telling me for the past year he wants me to open up a shop. I would tell him that it is his dream not mine. One day he was contacted by 3 old high school friends with investment opportunities. All 3 dont live in our city, 2 even live out of state. I think with all the baking competitions on tv and reality shows have given everybody the hype for custom cakes and cupcakes. Now after I have people asking to sell my product with out even tasting it, I too now am dreaming of opening a store front. In Texas we can not sell from our homes legally, well at least not yet. There are two food cottage bills currently trying to get passed into law. Fingers crossed it happens as it will be a much lower start up cost. I do have access to a commercial kitchen that I can rent in the mean time, but some thing that I can call my own would be much sweeter.

I currently do not have a job as I am a full time student, I graduate in May. My husband is already telling me for us to continue the way we live I have to get a job as we will run out of savings. Its a shame that I am so close to completion of my degree and I already dont want to pursue work in that field. I think we should all thank God for our talents and pray that he guides us into the right direction, what ever that may be.

CAKELADIE1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKELADIE1 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:03am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by schustc

icon_sad.gif I don't know what happened - Last year I made my first 'cake' of any creative sort for my daughters 2nd birthday.

I don't think I made a cake again up to a couple of months ago, when I tried my first batch of fondant ever- and just made a cake to put it on. literally just a way to use it up. I was doing a test run for my daughter's 3rd birthday cake and wanted to see if I could make it.

Then, I started the CAKE. Dreaming it, for weeks planning in my head what it would look like, how to make it stand up, I couldn't sleep for 2 weeks because my head was swimming with ideas and worries. the final product was ok for an amateur, ok for my 2nd ever creative cake. really not that great but it was a huge undertaking and i DID it. not perfect. but I DID it.

now - all I can think about it cake stuff. I am OBSESSED. I want to do it all. I want my own bakery. I want to learn everything. Improve. Be GREAT.

But I can't really do much. I am the only one working, and I fight sadness frequently because I go to work and my husband stays home with our daughter. He was laid off 3 (almost) years ago, and can't find work. our plans were to always have me be a stay at home mom - but that's not how it worked out. So in my free time, I soak up every second of mommy time I can get. Spending time baking does not work out when I want to be with her.

So I want this like crazy, but can't spend the time I want to with her, and do this. So live with the ideas and dreams in my head of what I WANT to do, and can't...

I'm obsessed with it, but may never be able to really pursue it. Have any of you felt so obsessed with wanting to do this? how did you handle it? I think I may have to wait until she is in school, and hopefully by then (she is 3) my husband will be working and then i can do this. I hope. icon_sad.gif

Don't give up on your dream or get discouraged. I always say "if there is a will there is a way". If you have the passion, just keep learning and practicing. You never know when God will open a door for you. When He does, be ready. Stay positive and best wishes.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:55am
post #15 of 15

OBSESSED- you've definitely hit the nail on the head!!! I am also obsessed with cake making and decorating, and also work full-time, fortunately my kids are 33 and 26, so I don't have to spend quite so much time with them! I always seem to have ideas relating to cakes running through my head - its a wonder there's any room in my brain to think of anything else icon_lol.gif But just make notes and keep all your ideas in a box, because it may take a while but one day you will be able to pursue your dream thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%