Any Tips On Baking A 15 In Square?

Baking By Kellbella Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 3:48pm by warchild

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 12

This will be the largest cake I've baked so far, the pan will fit in my oven I just wanted to know what temp I should use? 350 or 325? I will be using inverted flower nails and bake even strips. Any tips or advice would be appreciated...I don't want to waste good cake! I will be using Macsmom's orange dreamscicle recipe.

11 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 12

I use flower nails and bake at 325. No bake even strips for me.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 12

I do the same as you are going to do, use flower nails and bake even strips. I bake between 350 and 325, not one or the other.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 12

I have baked my 16" square with bake even strips and flower nails at 325, but I also used my convection bake. The pan was so large, I was worried that the heat wouldn't distribute quite evenly across the bottom. It turned out just fine. I have another to do this week of that size, and I think I'm going to just stick with that, even though it takes a little longer.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 12

I always put parchment in the bottom of my pans and the nails under the parchment. That way the nails don't cause the cake to break.

Kellbella Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:21am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieB

I have baked my 16" square with bake even strips and flower nails at 325, but I also used my convection bake. The pan was so large, I was worried that the heat wouldn't distribute quite evenly across the bottom. It turned out just fine. I have another to do this week of that size, and I think I'm going to just stick with that, even though it takes a little longer.

I wish I had a convection oven! That's what I'm worried about too..even heat distribution. Thank you all!

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:32am
post #7 of 12

I use two flower nails, bakeven strips and 325 degrees.

Brittany6231986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brittany6231986 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:24am
post #8 of 12

I use 3 flower nails under the parchment paper and no strips! I do not spray the sides of the pan because i want it to grab and rise even. bake at 335 deg. It turns out great every time for me. Dont know about that recipe though. good luck!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:35am
post #9 of 12

I made the same thing last week. I used no bake even strips and no nails. It baked fine in about 40 minutes or there abouts.

I used a Fat Daddio pan, they may have been the reason why it baked so evenly and so well.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:52am
post #10 of 12

Might want to bake at 300 for about 20 - 30 minutes and then move temp up to 325 until cake is done. I would use 3 nails to make sure the center gets done.

Kellbella Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you all for the tips. I made my cakes with 2 flower nails, at 335, no strips (they kept falling off icon_cry.gif ) and every 20 mins I turned the cake pan to help bake evenly and they turned out great! I too have Fat Daddio pans and they work great for me. Thanks again to all of you icon_biggrin.gif

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 12

Glad your cakes worked out! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%