Carving A Train Cake

Decorating By Cakegirl313 Updated 20 Mar 2016 , 6:42pm by julia1812

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 11

Hey, I am going to attempt to carve a train cake for my sons birthday and wanted to see if anyone had any good tips on how to go about this?

10 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 11

i was going to link to the directions that i am using, but i can't find them now. I googled Thomas the Train cake and they showed up somewhere, but i must be looking over them now.
However i did find this one, it uses round cake instead of a sheet cake like my directions do, but maybe it will help.
http://aloveatfirstbite.blogspot.com/2009/10/train-birthday-cake.html

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:39am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollys_hobby

I did one, you can view it in my photos. I baked several (can't remember how many) cakes in a loaf pan and stacked and carved from those. For the rounded front part of the engine, I used a round cutter and cut 1" thick circles, trimmed the bottom so they would sit on their side flat, and put them side by side to the length I needed. Hope that makes sense icon_smile.gif

porcelindoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
porcelindoll Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 5:16am
post #4 of 11

I did a Thomas Train cake last week for a birthday. Here's the picture.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1984109

I baked a very dense sheet cake and cut out equal pieces for the box cars, layered and iced them. For the engine I used cake baked in tomato sauce cans for the round sections and then used rice cereal treats for the sides and back of the train. This was the second train I did. The first one I just used rice cereal for the engine and molded it with my hands into shape.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:48am
post #5 of 11

I did a steam engine train. It's in my photos. I have instructions on how to do it. PM me you email address if you'd like them. Really simple using one sheet cake pan icon_wink.gif

sheilasturgeon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilasturgeon Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 11

I would love to have a tutorial on how you carved the train cake.  I need to make one by April 16 and I am totally lost.  I would appreciate it very much :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2016 , 2:41am
post #7 of 11

Nordic ware has a wonderful train cake pan

drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 18 Mar 2016 , 3:17am
post #8 of 11

Here is a great tutorial for a Thomas the Train cake: https://www.howtocookthat.net/public_html/thomas-train-cake/. You can buy her templates, although I just used the videos and a Thomas the Train toy as a guide to create my son's birthday cake. If you just want a generic train, you could just use the video to get a general idea of how to do it.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 18 Mar 2016 , 6:07am
post #9 of 11

I'll pm you a link to a video

sheilasturgeon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilasturgeon Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you, but I have not received a PM as of yet.  You can also send it via email if you would like

[email protected]

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 11

That's strange. Okay, I've emailed you a link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%