Leftover Bits Of Cake

Baking By Kiwi-whisk Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 9:55pm by Kiwi-whisk

Kiwi-whisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiwi-whisk Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering what everybody does with leftover cake crumbs after carving 3D cakes , it seems like such a waste. I have seen some people mix it with ganache and make truffles etc?

7 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 8

Some make cake balls. I usually just trash them.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 8

Cake balls come to mind. Or you can make a trifle out of them! Trifles are so easy because there is no right or wrong with. I once made a what I have named as a Mistake Trifle! lol I had made a German Chocolate cake for a friend's informal wedding out of town. One of the layers fell apart as I was putting it together so I just threw it all in a trifle bowl with the *icing layered with lightly toasted coconut and pecans and everyone loved it!! lol It went faster than the actual wedding cake! lol

* icing was a pkg of butterscotch pudding mix mixed with a container of cool whip.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 8

Make cake balls or cake pops. Check out bakerella's site. She has directions and a lot of ideas.

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 8

Definitely cake balls - especially if there are teenagers around. I have no leftover cake and will actually have to bake just so I can keep the ravenous monsters at bay this weekend. But don't put as much icing as the recipe calls for - it makes them too goopy. And, I started making mine half the size and now even I like them.

MAMAWOF4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMAWOF4 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 8

I use it for spackle. Keep a bit of main flavors frozen just for that purpose.

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 8

Any scraps i have sit on the kitchen side to be demolished by the family.... i get moaned at if i try to use them for anything else!

sam
xxx

Kiwi-whisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiwi-whisk Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for all the great ideas, as I don't have kids the cake pops Or balls ideas sound great. Otherwise my husband and I may have to go to the gym more frequently.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%