Stenciling On Bc, And Using Ribbon Questions

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 2:14pm by Buttercream_warrior

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 7

i am doing this for a wedding cake and have never done it before. it looks fairly easy but i'm always paranoid about trying new things for customers. i am worried the stencil will stick to the bc and mess it up. would it be possible to stencil on a frozen bc covered cake? would that work better? or just refrigerate it first. any tip on this would be much appreciated. also will regular stencils from the craft store work the same as designer cake stencils?

and on ribbon, i know i read to put something on the back of it before putting it around the cake so it doesn't bleed or whatever but i don't remember what i read. what are the rules on using ribbon on wedding cakes?

thanks!

6 replies
yamber82 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 1:40am
post #2 of 7

bumping!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:22am
post #3 of 7

Stenciling on a frozen or chilled BC cake works the best. Each time you apply the stencil, you have to wash the stencil off, pat dry before adding the next stencil pattern, this keeps from smugging the BC cake. HTH. Look at my pictures if you like. I've done a red and cream wedding cake and a blue and cream stencil wedding cake.
Best Wishes!

jenniemar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniemar Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:36am
post #4 of 7

For the ribbon you can use tape on the back to keep it from touching the cake and getting the grease marks on it- I have heard of people ironing on wax paper but I haven't tried that. There are tons of posts on this subject here.

I use crisco on mine to "pre-grease" them so that the spots don't become a factor since the ribbon already is greased up. It slightly darkens some colors so test first!

BUT-I have a groom's cake I am doing with a "Tux" look to it and I am using a pintucked'gathered ribbon that I will have to lay on tape and exacto around because the pintucks will not allow me to grease it.

So use whatever you have to to get the job done!
icon_biggrin.gif

yamber82 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 7

thankyou so much!! i'm going to practice as soon as i get my stencils in .

another thing i noticed when ordering them, i ordered a phrase to go on an 8" tier but the phrase stencil says it is a little wider than 8". is the width on the stencil description how wide the stencil itself is or how wide the actual phrase is?

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 7

It really may be the length of the stencil going around the cake. Whats the length? That could be the height of the stencil. Check the stencils from Designer Stencils-culinary for their description. That is where I go when I'm researching stencil sizes. HTH

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 7

i stenciled a damask wedding cake and what i did was let my buttercream completely crust..so i let it sit out a while and then i stenciled and like what was metioned before i would clean the stencil each time i used it..i do the grease thing too with the ribbon but i heard somwhere if you just brush water that it would stick..so im not sure about that ..i usually do fondant ribbon now so im out of practice with real ones

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1732606

heres my cake i was talkking about...good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%