Cakin' Computer

Business By Annabakescakes Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 1:18am by pmarks0

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:27pm
post #31 of 42

I just wanted to add that as someone in IT, I get asked this kind of question a lot. I don't generally recommend a specific brand because each has its good and bad points. The general rule of thumb is go for the biggest bang for your buck. So keeping that in mind, you can upgrade memory, you can upgrade hard drive, but you cannot upgrade a processor without buy a new computer. Pick a budget and work within it.

So, given that information the newest/fastest processors on the market now are the Intel i3, i5 and i7, with the i7 being the fastest. Dual core is actually older technology. You will also be looking at Windows 7 as XP is no longer available without a special purchase and Microsoft is phasing out support for it very soon anyway. Many laptops are coming with 4GB-6GB of memory with the capability to expand up much higher.

Best Buy currently has an HP 17" with an i5 processor, 6GB of memory and a 750B hard drive for $1050. But there are a lot of deals for under $1000, especially if you wait for a sale. I personally would be making a purchase for a laptop from a store like Best Buy for a couple of reasons. First, they will price match if you find the same product at another store for less. Second, you have a 30-day return policy if it turns out it's the wrong model for you. Third, you have the option to buy an extended warranty from them (which we do for all our higher end electronics). And finally, they will service the unit for you if you need it. (And no, I don't have any connection with Best Buy.) Check and compare the flyers. If you plan on walking around with the laptop keep in mind that a 17 laptop is big and its heavy. You may find that a 15 wide screen is more than adequate. And you also have an option to use something like an iPad or another tablet device that you can put just the cake images on.

I have owned 2 Dell's and we've also owned Toshiba. I use a Lenovo at the office and we also distribute HPs to users. I love my Dell and DH likes his Toshiba.

Just remember I fast, powerful system doesn't have to cost a ton of money.

Sorry for the length. Hope this helps.

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm
post #32 of 42

My first response? Buy a Mac. However, they are a bit pricey (I guess you get what you pay for). If you are looking at a Windows box, I love Acer. They make great laptops and wonderful monitors and have about the best prices around. The one that I'm on now I've used almost every day for five years (at work) and it still runs great. You can buy a great Acer laptop for around $500 and a 22" wide screen monitor for around $150. Go to Pricegrabber.com, select models you are interested in and then out and read the reviews.

Things to look for: 4GB of RAM, a 320GB or bigger hard drive and a HD screen. Windows 7 64bit is a tolerable operating system. Don't buy anything with Windows 7 starter.

DO NOT BUY ANY COMPUTER THAT HAS A SEMPRON OR CELERON PROCESSOR. It's kind of like putting a lawn mower motor in an 18 wheeler. Get a Dual or Quad core if possible.

Get a 9 cell battery instead of a 6 cell if you want longer battery life. And don't leave your laptop plugged into power all the time. Charge it up, unplug it and then use it until the "plug me in now" warning message comes up.

Things to do: Get rid of whatever virus program comes on it and download and install Avast. The regular home version is free, but for extra protection buy the $39 one. Install Spybot Search and Destroy and run it regularly.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:41pm
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon997

I don't recall having seen him, but I'll keep my eye out. icon_smile.gif I've seen a guy in regular Hollywood, near the Walk of Fame and all the big tourist attractions preaching about the end of the world, but I don't know if it was your father. He was right near a subway stop, maybe it was him and he took the subway from North Hollywood?

Could be, if he was good looking with white hair! He lives in van, (or did a while ago) but I don't think it is (was) operational. He isn't one to renew licenses, or insurance or registration, lol It can be a new game, hobo spotting. icon_lol.gif His name is Greg. He may not be good looking anymore, actually. I first and last saw him 13 years ago, I live in KY, so I don't know about the subway or where things are over there. He 60ish, so I am sure his hair is still white, he doesn't trust chemicals, either. His eyes are so pretty, it makes you double-take everytime you look at him. He also haas a scar on his nose where the skin around one nostril is smoother. He had it bitten off in a fight, but cosmetic surgery (donated, in Hollywood, lol) to replace it with a small part of his ear. The scar goes all the way to his opposite eye, but it is subtle.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:44pm
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

When I had this desktop that I am on built, I had the other one put in, not Vista. Can't remember what it's called. I heard Vista was terrible! Do people still have that option? I thought it was too late. I really don't know about stuff like that. What are the options?

The main option for PCs these days is Windows 7, which works pretty well. Luckily Vista is not available any more, the other option used to be Windows XP, which was an older operating system but still better than Vista.

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:55pm
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

When I had this desktop that I am on built, I had the other one put in, not Vista. Can't remember what it's called. I heard Vista was terrible! Do people still have that option? I thought it was too late. I really don't know about stuff like that. What are the options?

The main option for PCs these days is Windows 7, which works pretty well. Luckily Vista is not available any more, the other option used to be Windows XP, which was an older operating system but still better than Vista.

I think Microsoft should have given a free upgrade to Windows 7 to anyone who bought Vista or bought a computer during it's brief existence. I was one of those people. When I bought my previous laptop it came with Vista. I cursed it daily for quite a while, and then Windows 7 came out, I upgraded, and finally had a working computer again!

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:02pm
post #36 of 42

Yeah I have XP on this, and it is an Acer.

Wow, Langranny, and Pmarks0, that is really good info from you both! Just the kind of stuff I am looking for. No one ever needs to apologize to me about the length of a post, I love new information.

I had no idea what to look for, and now I at least have a direction to go in. I am going to keep this window up so I can have a point of reference available.

I do want to keep it under $800 total (tax, shipping, extra monitors, upgrades, everything). Buying local at Best Buy would be nice if something goes wrong, but just want a reliable computer. Do they do inexpensive, quality? I assume you probably have to send it off somewhere if you buy from Walmart or Costco. I want to avoid that, as I plan to have my cake orders stored in it, with a reminder that pops up when I need to get started. Do people always have a paper back-up, just in case?

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:06pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon997

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

I think Microsoft should have given a free upgrade to Windows 7 to anyone who bought Vista or bought a computer during it's brief existence. I was one of those people. When I bought my previous laptop it came with Vista. I cursed it daily for quite a while, and then Windows 7 came out, I upgraded, and finally had a working computer again!

That would have been the right thing to do, I never heard anything good about it.

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #38 of 42

I suggest that you don't get an HP laptop. I personally know five people whose HP laptops failed (systemboard) within 90 days of the warranty expiring in the last three years. Dell is good (but pricey), Lenovo, Acer, Toshiba or Sony all make good machines that are reliable.

Best Buy is OK, but if you have a Microcenter store in your area, I'd go there first. Their staff is usually more knowledgable than those at BB.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 10:14pm
post #39 of 42
Quote:

Do people always have a paper back-up, just in case?

We print out two copies of all invoices for orders as they are booked, one for the customer to sign and one for the customer to take with them. I also back up all our invoices and our QuickBooks file onto a USB flash drive every few days, so if the main computer breaks down I can just pop the flash drive into another computer and we're good to go.

All customer email is in Gmail so we can access it from anywhere.

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 10:17pm
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by langranny

I suggest that you don't get an HP laptop. I personally know five people whose HP laptops failed (systemboard) within 90 days of the warranty expiring in the last three years. Dell is good (but pricey), Lenovo, Acer, Toshiba or Sony all make good machines that are reliable.

Best Buy is OK, but if you have a Microcenter store in your area, I'd go there first. Their staff is usually more knowledgable than those at BB.

Do you mean more knowledgable to help you pick something out, or more knowledgeable to help you fix something that goes wrong? I like to be informed as much as possible before I go into the store, so the employees don't make with the "jazz hands" and bedazzle and confuse and sell me the one I don't need and can't afford! Or look at my worn-out sneakers and sell me cheap crap! I like to buy on-line and have it sent to my door, store pick-up is next-best.

pmarks0 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 1:17am
post #41 of 42

I totally agree with shopping around and doing your research and due diligence. Try them out in the stores. Type on them and make sre the tactile feel is conducive to you because not all keyboards are the same.

If you find what you want at a smaller, discount retailer (we don't have Microcenter up here, but their website looks a lot like TigerDirect) and BestBuy has it, I'd get them to price match. I'm not sure that the discount stores offer extended warranties (if you're interested in purchasing one). However, at the same time, there's nothng to stop you from using their GeekSquad to do any servicing you might need if the store you do buy fom doesn't have a service department.

I won't go as far as to say stay away from a specific manufacturer because there will always be someone who doesn't like them for one reason or another. But in terms of Dell, which I do like a lot, I hate having to call for service. But one thing about Dell is they do have excellent extended warranties which can be purchased online. They do have warranties that are in-home service where you don't have to send it out. And if you do send it out, they send you the box and the courier waybill and the turn around is pretty quick. I recently got my motherboard replaced and the keyboard and I think it may have been a week total.

Believe it or not, we've also bought laptops from The Shopping Channel (TSC in Canada) which I guess is HSN for you, which have been excellent deals as well.

pmarks0 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 1:18am
post #42 of 42

I totally agree with shopping around and doing your research and due diligence. Try them out in the stores. Type on them and make sre the tactile feel is conducive to you because not all keyboards are the same.

If you find what you want at a smaller, discount retailer (we don't have Microcenter up here, but their website looks a lot like TigerDirect) and BestBuy has it, I'd get them to price match. I'm not sure that the discount stores offer extended warranties (if you're interested in purchasing one). However, at the same time, there's nothng to stop you from using their GeekSquad to do any servicing you might need if the store you do buy fom doesn't have a service department.

I won't go as far as to say stay away from a specific manufacturer because there will always be someone who doesn't like them for one reason or another. But in terms of Dell, which I do like a lot, I hate having to call for service. But one thing about Dell is they do have excellent extended warranties which can be purchased online. They do have warranties that are in-home service where you don't have to send it out. And if you do send it out, they send you the box and the courier waybill and the turn around is pretty quick. I recently got my motherboard replaced and the keyboard and I think it may have been a week total.

Believe it or not, we've also bought laptops from The Shopping Channel (TSC in Canada) which I guess is HSN for you, which have been excellent deals as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%