How Do I Start A Legal Home Business In Ontario?

Business By cakification Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 7:16pm by cakification

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, I'm new here (obviously, as this is my first post..)
I love making cakes, but so far i have only made them as gifts for family and friends. I would love to start an actual business one day when i get better, but i want to do it legally, i don't want to just operate from my home without licenses, etc.. The only problem is, i don't even know where to start looking for information on how to operate a home based business in Ontario (Oshawa specifically). Does anyone know where i can start looking, or who i should call?

ps - i know there's a lot of topics like this, so i appologize if this is a repeated question, it's just i haven't been able to find an conclusive answers on any of the other topics.


3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 4

Contact City of Oshawa and ask about small business licenses and what type of small business. they include..every town/city is different.I'm not sure whether you are planning to have an in home business or storefront which is two seperate things entirely.You also need to contact the health Dept and find out what you need to operate a food business be it home or storefront..again both are different.They will be able to tell you the requirements etc..

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 4


You have to check with the city. I live outside Hamilton and the by-law says I can operate out of my home.

I have a friend that lives in London (about 1.5hr away) and the city by-law says NO.

Each city is differnt. Just call your city hall, they are usually very helpful. Once you find out if you are able to run a business out of your home you will need a health inspection. If you get the that point you can PM me and I can help you with it.

I would also suggest getting your food handling permint(from a local collage) This helps with your inspection.

Good Luck!

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 4

That's great, thank you for your replies. These are good first steps for me.
Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%