Help With Detail On This Cake

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 6:24pm by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 7

Hello,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me. Take a look at this cake:

http://christophergarrens.com/images/wedding/24.jpg

For the green scrolls on the two white tiers, how do you think those were done? To me it doesn't look like they were piped on. It kind of looks like they were painted on. If they were painted on that person had a steady hand! Also, on the short/squat tiers, are those baby calla lillies? How would you make those? Just a small leaf cutter and yellow stamen?

I'm looking at ideas for a girlfriend's wedding cake. Her color is plum though which should be interesting...

Thanks for your help.

AW

6 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe the green scrolls were stencils???

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 7

Yeah, it looks to me that the green scrolls are painted on with food coloring.

I think your idea of using the leaf cutter for the little calla lilies would work well.

It's a beautiful cake! Good luck!

AnnieCahill Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah the more I look at it the more it looks like they were painted on. The line thickness varies. I don't know if I have a hand that steady to paint them on.

She is undecided as to what kind of cake she wants so I'm just surfing looking for some that she may be interested in. I like the varying thickness of the tiers. I've never done a cake like that.

Thanks for all your help!

Annie

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 7

I would do the callas with a small heart cutter. The scrolls looks like a stencil to me.
HTH

Totally-Frosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Totally-Frosted Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 7

the green scrolls were painted on. you don't have to have a real real steady hand. you just move with quick (not too quick) movements and a stiff wrist which will keep your lines straight. the difference in the lines depends on if you use your tip of the brush or the full brush. practice on paper before starting your cake so you can see what kind of design you want. i would do the callas with a heart cutter too.

AnnieCahill Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 7

Ok thanks for the tip.

I haven't tried looking for that particular stencil but I might try to search for one today. If it's too expensive I'll just do it by hand.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%