Gumpaste Or Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By TiffyB73 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 2:24am by Manderly42

TiffyB73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffyB73 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:34am
post #1 of 5

I have a Spongebob cake due this Saturday. Do you recommend making the figures out of gumpaste or modeling chocolate? Or should I make them out of RKT and then cover them?

Also, can I make while modeling chocolate and color it after it's set up? I need a small amount of several colors so I don't want to make full batches of colors with candy melts.

Thanks for any advice!

4 replies
TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 12:16am
post #2 of 5

I just made my daughters Dora cake this past weekend and I used gumpaste for the decorations. I felt so bad when all the kids wanted to eat the decorations and they couldn't! I was just searching to see if modeling chocolate would have been a better choice and I came across your post. Maybe something to keep in mind when you are making your decision! Good luck!

TiffyB73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffyB73 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:37am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the input. Definitely something to consider.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:48am
post #4 of 5

Either modeling chocolate or RK treats would work fine. I tend to use RK treats for larger figures, or figures that need a lot of support.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:24am
post #5 of 5

You can make a large batch of white modeling chocolate and color small portions after. I recommend using gel or powder colors, not liquid. I used gel colors when I made my pieces for the ice fishing cake in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%