Customer Cancelled Because Of Where I Live!!!

Business By sari66 Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 2:37am by RedRoxx

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 1:55pm
post #31 of 37

No need to apologize. My site states my license is residential, but because I homeschool my child, and for safety reasons, I do also not list my exact address. I have my license posted so they see it as soon as they walk in, and give my address only to potential customers. If someone wants to know my address, unfortunately it's easy enough to find on the internet these days.

scp1127 ~ Your home bakery sounds really attractive. How did you decorate it like a store front? Do you have a separate kitchen you use? Someone on here decorated their bakery with Mr. Potato heads and now I cant' remember the name of that bakery...so clever and adorable!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 7:23pm
post #32 of 37

Well, I had two tastings today and no issues on the area. One booked and one most likely!! Yay Me icon_smile.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 7:33pm
post #33 of 37

Madchen i'm not letting anyone in my kitchen or bathroom not because they're not clean but my inspector said not to, and even if she hadn't I wouldn't it's where I work and I don't go to a business expecting to see where the work gets done.

I talk to my customers at least once by phone and tell them then that I am based from my home if they don't feel comfortable coming here we can go elsewhere. I don't fear strangers coming here since I've not had any problems and I think the true crazy unsafe people aren't looking for a custom cake! LOL

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 8:12pm
post #34 of 37

I don't like having strangers (customers) in my home either, but going to a cafe for a tasting would unnerve me, I don't like being watched by people...but I'm weird that way. I am, however going to a customer's home next week for a large tasting, per their request. My husband will have the address..."just in case" I disappear. icon_wink.gif

I get those Watch Dog reports, and I always get freaked out...I make it a point to take precautions. I guess I can see why some would rather have tastings outside their residence.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 4:37am
post #35 of 37

madchen, I have a large separate commercial kitchen. It is approved for the public so I can have potential clients there as well as offer classes. I have a restroom and a seating area as well as the kitchen itself. The walls are painted deep pink. There are pictures, a big clock, coordinating cabinet knobs... a place that is interesting and a nice place to be... whether working or as a guest. It shows well in pictures and looks professional and inviting. Customers know it is the first floor of my home, but they have no doubt it is a professional kitchen. From the outside, my home is well kept and in order. When I give the location, it puts people at ease.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 7:20am
post #36 of 37

When people are spending money on things like their wedding, EVERYTHING counts. You become VERY judgmental...an unkempt lawn, a screaming toddler, unorganized appearance, may say to the client "Unprofessional".

As a side job I'm a freelance makeup artist for MAC. I had one client, a very popular and VERY talented photographer. He would call me when he had models for me to work on...Well, all of his consults and prep work took place in his condo, before they went to location for the photo shoot. His condo was in a busy part of the city that only offered street parking (first thing that turned me off) I had to walk blocks in 5 inch pumps and with my makeup equip. 2nd thing that turned me off was that is home was in a complete state of disarray. I'm a neat freak and super organized. The first time I went to his house, I couldn't believe that he was a legit photographer...He was, people begged to work with him. The 2nd time was my last time in his condo...I just couldn't deal with the disorganization and what I thought of as messiness. I ended up telling him that if he wanted me to work with him, we had to start doing makeup on location because I couldn't deal with his condo.

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 2:37am
post #37 of 37

Or! Maybe when she checked the address of your home bakery, she came to discover that she would be in violation of a restraining order she has if she went there! :p Sorry to hear, but some people are just odd. I do know someone that has never traveled outside her area code.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%