Stacking A (Purposely) Off Center Cake

Decorating By JenFailla Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 3:36am by sugardugar

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 8

Today seems to be the day for me to need help! icon_smile.gif I'm doing a 2 tiered bday cake for my friend's son. I have made two 3D figurines to be put on the cake and I want them to be on top of the bottom level -on a ledge of sorts. The bottom tier is 10" and the top is 6"... do I need to support this cake differently if I want to "scootch" the 6" cake back further to create this ledge for the figures to go on?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I've searched the forum and on google with "off center tiered cakes" and "off set cakes" and can't find what I'm looking for. Thank you all for any help you can offer! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 8

I stacked a cake a couple of weeks ago similar sizes to yours and it was fine , just used wilton dowels

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 8

I didnt mention they were off centre too , as I wanted them !

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, stacking process is exactly the same. icon_smile.gif

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 8

Perfect! Thank you so much- I have the wilton dowels ready to go. I feel much better going ahead now

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 8

Just make sure whatever support system you are using is placed directly underneath where the top tier will be placed.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:22am
post #7 of 8

I've done this recently as well, and as previous posters have stated, still the same support system but just put under where the top tier will be placed. I did a 9x13 bottom tier and a 7" square top tier. Best of luck!

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:36am
post #8 of 8

stacking in the same, just position the dowels directly underneath where you want it. if you need help figuring out where to put them you could push the ring part of the 6" pan onto the cake where you want the 6" to go and place the dowels accordingly using that as a guide.

hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%