Attaching Rkt To Plastic Dowel...

Decorating By JenFailla Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 5:11pm by Marianna46

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all,

I have a quick question that I hope someone with much more knowledge than me can help me out with. I am doing a cake for tomorrow (a friend's child) and I need to have a tallish tree- more of an oak, or maple (not a pine tree). I had started a gumpaste one wrapped around a wilton plastic dowel and I ended up HATING IT!!!!

So, now my thought is that I'll make the whole tree out of RKT, but how would I adhere the RKT to the dowel, piping gel??? I'd like to then use royal icing to make the leaves and to cover the tree trunk to make it look "bark-like".

Am I on the right track or am I heading towards disaster? icon_redface.gif

Also, any thoughts on branch support? I only want about 2 or 3 branches, and don't really want to use wire- would a food safe candy stick work well??

Thank you in advance for any advice that you have. Sorry it was last minute!!

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 2

I think melted chocolate or royal icing would be strong enough to make the RKTs stick to your dowel. Piping gel might make it just slide off. Maybe you could use plastic- or paper-covered wire for the branches? It seems like you'd need wire for flexibility. Your tree sounds like a lovely idea. I hope it works out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%