Cake Dummies

Decorating By platinumlady Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 3:38am by platinumlady

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:55am
post #1 of 8

For those of you that use cake dummies can where do you get yours from. I'm wanting to try different ideas out but don't want to bake that many cakes. So I'm looking for a place I can get them at a reasonable price with a good variety. I've seen a tool in Hobby Lobby where I can cut or shape it...but I'm thinking it would be easier if they already have the shape I'm wanting ... if that makes sense. I live in Kansas so if anyone know of a place local that will be even better.

TIA

7 replies
AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:44am
post #2 of 8

I always get mine through Ebay. For the last 5 years, I've bought them from a company called "Taylor Foam" that usually has them up for Ebay auction. I'm sure you could find their actual website too if you googled it. They are inexpensive & will ship them right to you.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:57am
post #3 of 8

I like Chef Rubber.

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 8

Do you prefer the ones with straight edges or rounded edges? I need to buy some but don't know which is better, easier to work with, and cleaner in appearance when covered with fondant.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 8
onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 8

I went in halves on the shipping with a friend got them at www.**********.com on ebay. I got the sets of the round and squares, she got the set of the contoured squares, rounds and the pillows. The shipping was the bulk part of the cost.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 8

I also purchase mine off ebay from www.*************.com

He has a deal where you can pick two styles for one price, or buy individual dummies.

I have bought several dummies from him, fast shipping and great deals!

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:38am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrnewbie

Do you prefer the ones with straight edges or rounded edges? I need to buy some but don't know which is better, easier to work with, and cleaner in appearance when covered with fondant.

Either works ... It really just depends on what look you are going for
just make sure you smooth the top edges (lightly) & spray a light mist of water on the foam before you add the fondant. That will help the fondant go smoothly on the foam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%