Need Help On A Communion Cake

Decorating By nadia0411 Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 12:06pm by nadia0411

nadia0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia0411 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 9:00am
post #1 of 11

Hi all,
Attached please find a pic.
This is my first time with everything in this cake.I have already determined many aspects. Just sharing out loud, any comments/suggestions please let me know.

1 for book, i will stack 2 13x9 sheet cakes, carve v shaped tapered sides for pages, cover in ganache and then fondant, making curved lines with a pizza cutter on top and bottom of open book and straight lines on both sides of the open book. Will brush with silver.gold dust,

Should i mix the dust with something (no alcohol) or just brush it directly?

Will roll another fondant piece to lay on top to resemble the open page with corner a little bit turned.

2. For chalice, i plan to use gumpaste/fondant mixture to set on a bowl, make stand seperately probably supported by a dowel and the let them dry, stick them tog with RI and brush with lustre dust, again shall i mix with something or do it directly?

3. Wheat and writing i plan to do with RI and the paint with ivory and golden color respectively, is that ok?

4. Grapes should be easy but how to achieve this color, purple with black?

5. rosary beads, i plan to make small gumpaste ball, make them beads by poking a needle and let them dry, will string them using dental floss. Question is how to achieve that falling effect with the golden as shown in the picture with the rim of the chalice? how to achieve that?

The client is quite specific and i want it to turn out perfect, please share your thoughts.ideas. I have mailed the creator of this cake also.

here is the link of the cake also
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakeladycakes/3806526304/

Regards
TIA
Nadia

10 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 11

1. For the edges of the pages you can brush dry dust on them. All the other stuff you need to paint on and there's no other way but to use something alcohol-based to dissolve your dust in, but the alcohol will evaporate COMPLETELY - it's only a step in the process, but a necessary one - nobody's going to be ingesting any alcohol. 2. Good plan, but you'll need to dissolve the dust in alcohol (vodka, lemon extract, etc.). 3. Yes. You can use dry luster dust on top of wet RI letters - just do it CAREFULLY. 4. Not sure about this exact color, but you can get a very grape-y color with burgundy gel color. 5. I've done these beads strung with dental floss and they come out great. To paint the string itself, make a thick paste of luster dust and a just a little alcohol and paint it directly on the string after you place the beads in the chalice. This is a really beautiful cake. Best of luck with it, and I hope I'm not writing you too late!

nadia0411 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:41am
post #3 of 11

thanks alot, icon_smile.gif i am half way through, have to give this thursday, so far its going well
will post pic once done
Nadia

nadia0411 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 11

here is the cake i did, not 100% satisified but liked how it turned out

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1983181

Marianna46 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 11

It's a commonplace for the decorator never to be satisfied with their own cake. But for some reason I keep getting a message saying "The specified photo does not exist" when I click on your link. Could you see what's happening? I'm dying to see the results now!

nadia0411 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 11

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1983164

try this and yes client loved it to both looks and taste, they said our guests were spellbound icon_biggrin.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 11

It turned out great! Good job icon_biggrin.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 11

It turned out great! Good job icon_biggrin.gif

Marianna46 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 11

Yes, it really is lovely! Congratulations! And the crowd chants in the background, "We want more, we want more..."

mariaschulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariaschulz Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:36am
post #10 of 11

how did yo make the chalice??? Need to make one and I need help!

nadia0411 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:06pm
post #11 of 11

maria, i made exactly how i mentioned in the original post, set the chalice 'bowl' on a well-greased bowl made out of fondant/gumpaste, let it try for couple of days, made the 'stem' with a dowel inside for support. when both were dry, glued them together with RI and paint it with golden airbrush color.
2-3 coats atleast. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%